Monday, March 20, 2006

Maturity Revelations

There are a few moments that strike me and I realize that I’m actually a mature adult. Some such moments are pretty trivial like the first time I stopped saying that I don’t like spinach or mushrooms and actually tried them. Other moments strike me like when I found myself confident enough to go against my parents and tell them I thought they were wrong. This was especially significant when some of the things I logically disagreed with them on were related to parenting. Crazier when they took my advice and changed their tactics.

Lately I’ve noticed that with my age and experience I’ve gotten a firm grasp on when to shut up. I used to argue for the sake of arguing because didn’t want to lose a disagreement or admit that I was wrong. Over the past few years I have come to develop an understanding of when it’s better to back-down and apologize even if I don’t think I’m totally in the wrong. This new approach has definitely helped me neutralize some tough conversations where my being defensive would have only heated things up and made the situation worse.

At this rate I’ll be a full-fledged adult by the time I hit 30!!

2 comments:

Mamma Sarah said...

Don't rush it sweetie... Full flegged adult? What is that exactly? It just shows that you are "growing up", but hopefully never truely "growing up". :-)

Sarah said...

I have a hard time believing that you will EVER be a "full flegged adult". It's just not going to happen.