Friday, March 17, 2006

Last Night's Events

Last night, for the first time in over 5 years I took my acrylic fingernails off. I know this doesn’t seem momentous enough to write about, but a habit/hobby/whatever for 5 years makes it seem like a major change to me. What was horrible was that I had to pry them each off, which I tried to make easier by soaking them in acetone first, but in the end it was an incredibly painful 3 hour process as you might envision. My nails are so thin and so painful that at one point I actually pierced through the single layer that was left with the fingernail clipper and made my skin underneath bleed. Big picture – I’ll save myself about 2.5 hours/month and $625/year on professional manicures, but if they turn out to be as thin and tear-able as they used to be I might end up putting them back on.

Other news – I am 9/16 on my basketball pool. I incorrectly guessed Syracuse (chosen for the Y), San Diego State (picked for Joe Kramer’s residence), Marquette (ala Anne), Seton Hall (I thought they were good?), and Nevada (where I went for my first anniversary). To address Dale’s concern, I did CORRECTLY pick WIS-Milwaukee for both him and the Johnsons. In Greg’s pool I also incorrectly picked Xavier (booo!). I have no upsets picked in the remaining first round games, let’s hope I do okay!

8 comments:

Mamma Sarah said...

OWWWW! That was the worst part of wearing acrylics. They are so pretty and durable, but boy do they hurt when you take them off.

Sorry about your bum luck with your pics. Hopefully the rest of your teams will hang on. :-D

RandomBitsofDigitalFlotsam said...

Well, that just sounds like oodles of fun.

I'm glad there are no bizarre manly rites like that...........

LisaMarie said...

I actually yelled out loud when I read that first paragraph. And yes, it IS a big deal! I don't recall seeing your real fingernails since like our freshman year of college...are you sure it's only been 5 years? I can't believe you actually suffered through it! I woudl have cried and quit! I hope it works! OUCH!

TreyJ said...

I always go with UW-Milwaukee because nobody gives them enough respect and the last few years have done quite well in the big dance. I like teams like that.

Karen said...

Lisa & Sarah, i appreciate your sympathy! :)

Sarah said...

I feel your pain on the nails, I've had to rip them off on a couple of occasions and it is not pretty!

Once the damaged part grows out they should be much stronger and you should be ok. Keep clear polish on the help strengthen them as well.

Viki said...

I hear ya' on the nails - I've had to let mine fall off several times since I've been here, but because when I get them filled here, the ladies don't have the right equipment they really do fall off instead of me having to pry them off. My real nails are finally all in after having my acrylics fall off last November...you'll be Ok...

LisaMarie said...

This is why I just keep my natural nails. My one experience with a fake nail (my wedding day as I'm sure many of you recall) was traumatic enough. It took me forever to get that one nail off, and I practically chewed my finger off on my honeymoon to do it!