Thursday, May 17, 2007

Week 33- 7 to go!

Nicole this week: This week your baby weighs a little over 4 pounds and measures 17.2 inches. Thanks to she recent weight gain, she's losing that wrinkled alien look. Most of your baby's bones are hardening now, but her skull is still quite pliable. It's actually in separate pieces with spaces in between. This flexible structure allows your baby's head to compress so it can fit through your relatively narrow birth canal. The pressure on her head during birth is so intense that many babies are born with a cone head-like appearance. This is totally harmless, normal, and temporary. Her skull plates won't completely fuse until she's about 9 to 18 months old.

My Take: I love how the baby people called my kid alien-like. Ha!

I’ve made good progress on the acid reflux since last week – I'm down to about 2 TUMS every other day or so. MUCH better than the 8 I was taking daily before. What has gotten worse though are the charlie horses I get- my calves are so sore that I can’t fully straighten my leg or walk without pain. I see now why pregnant women waddle – it’s because their legs hurt and they can’t walk right!

The swelling in my ankles (which are starting to blend right into my pained calves) is also consistant now. Fortunately not painful, it's reduced me down to a very small quantity of shoes that I can comfortably wear. I wear newly purchased size 9-10 (I'm normally an 8) beaded flip flops more than anything else now. Megan was a gem and lent me a blanket to soften the prop I keep my feet up on at work.

I’ve been reading more articles about the signs of labor. Though I'm sure I can’t miss it, I don’t want to misdiagnose it either (exaggerate something that’s not labor into a trip to the hospital for example). I'm hoping that it’s (forgive the pun-twist) not too painfully obvious.

8 comments:

Megs said...

Awww I feel so horrible that you're in so much pain! We need to grab lunch more often because I won't have you around for so long once you have Nicole. I'm in shock that your due date is almost a month away!! Seems like just yesterday you told me you were preggers! I'm gonna miss watchin the baby fight club in your stomach during our monday morning sales meeting :)

Gtemp said...

Yay for babies coming. I'm ready for my next niece to enter the world. Sorry to hear that you aren't feeling as well. Maybe it would help if you and the fans in the seats would do the wave during our softball games on Wednesdays. You need to get the blood flow circulating!

Karen said...

For reference, i must sound like i'm bitching a lot... i don't feel bad really, just sore which is very manageable! I have no room to complain with such an overall easy time with this kid.

she better be this good in real life....

Viki said...

You're not too complainy at all - just remember to keep your feet up. :-)

I'm excited to talk to your belly this weekend. :-)

LisaMarie said...

Okay, is it just me or did the word NARROW bother anyone else in reference to your birth canal. Why would they tell you that?!?!

And I think you're completely validated in reading about the signs of labor. My friend Stephanie has a high tolerance for pain and didn't realize she was in labor until she went to the hospital and her water broke while she was filling out paperwork. She delivered like 2 hours later! So read all you can! I would too! See you in two days!

LisaMarie said...

I lied! See you TOMORROW! HOORAY!

Martha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mamma Sarah said...

Better to know the signs than not at all... Hopefully once you start getting the signs you'll have time to make the phone calls. :-)

It's hard to believe that you are almost an official hands on mommy. I'm so proud of you for everything you have been through to this point. It gets hard around this point so just remind yourself it's almost over (well kinda).