Wednesday, May 30, 2007

35 Weeks - 5 To Go!

How your baby's growing: Your baby's getting big. She weighs a tad over 5 pounds and is just over 18 inches long. Because it's so snug in your womb, she isn't likely to be doing somersaults anymore, but the number of times she kicks should remain about the same. Her kidneys are fully developed now, and her liver can process some waste products. Most of her basic physical development is now complete — she'll spend the next few weeks putting on weight.

My Take: Special thanks to Mom for letting me borrow a diamond ring of hers to replace my own. My fingers are so swollen my wedding rings got stuck and it took me hours of elevation to get them down enough to yank them off. Yeah for still looking like I'm married though in this day and age probably no one notices or would care if I was 8 months pregnant and didn’t have a ring on my wedding finger.

There are a few questions that people who haven’t seen me in a while universally seem to ask. Here they are with the answers for your reference!

1) Do you know what you’re having? Yes, we’re having a little girl.
2) What are you going to name her? Nicole.
3) Are you going to take drugs [during labor]? I'm not above an epidural if it’ll make me enjoy the experience more.
4) Is Jim excited? No, he’s irritated that I got knocked up, especially when I told him it is really Dale’s kid.

Duh, obviously that fourth one isn’t my real answer but geez, people, what do you expect me to say? Even if Jim wasn’t excited (which he is!) he’s smart enough to put on a good act!

15 comments:

Finlands finest said...

It was nice of mom to lend you her diamond. I would still want to look married if my wedding band no longer fit. :)

Sounds like Nicole is doing well. Don't let her put on too much weight :) Any more than 1 lb a week will leave you with a BIG baby and I cannot see you giving birth to an 11 pound baby!

Viki said...

I like your answer to question #4, and I think you should tell people that and blog about their reactions. :-)

Glad Nicole is doing well - is she still being shy?

Karen said...

She is shy which frustrates me as well as my friends who want to feel her.

I'd say that definitely makes her Jim's (not Dale's) kid but, unlike Nicole, Jim likes it when my friends feel him. ha!

Anonymous said...

Since you are so extroverted, how will you feel/react if your child is introverted?

Mamma Sarah said...

I love #4. That's just too funny. I'm sure you'll do fantastic when it comes to the whole labor thing. Just don't dwell on the whole thing and things will be fine. Just remind Jim to remind you to keep breathing. :-)

Anonymous said...

what does it matter if you have a ring on your finger? as long as you love and care for your child it shouldn't matter to you. you are shallow for caring about what other people think. grow up!

Karen said...

I'd like to think that I would be okay with her being shy as long as she had some friends that she played with. I would be concerned if she was too timid to make any friends or just wanted to be alone all the time.

she'll know her parents friends well - they're over all the time!

Karen said...

against popular opinion i allowed anonymous to publish.

I could care less if other people have kids without being married. My brother and his fiance aren't married yet and i love them and my neice to pieces.

But why do i want a ring on my finger? Because i'm proud of being married and because I CARE FOR MY CHILD SO MUCH I'm excited to give her the opportunity to have two parents take care of her.

I see no reason to NOT be proud of that and to have an outward symbol of the love i have for both Jim and Nicole.

Viki said...

I'm beginning to think that if I ever figure out who anonymous is, I'm going to kick her ass. If it's a him I might not be able to, but something tells me it's probably not, based on the wording and reaction.

And to him/her: Speaking of people needing to grow up, if you post critical comments without identifying yourself, your comments are not worth anything, period. This world would be a much better place if people fricking had the balls to stand up and take credit/blame for what they've done.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry about a ring on your finger, Karen. MANY (most? nearly all?) pregnant people (not that I'd know from experience) swell up and don't wear their rings, either...which makes for A LOT of married pregnant ladies walking around w/o their wedding ring on. My sisters and friends just put the ring on a chain around their neck. I'm glad you were able to find an option that works for you, too.

Wow. Five weeks, huh?

Finlands finest said...

Karen, I just had a thought, maybe your child will be vocally extraverted (or should we say talkative)like you, just not into doing physical tricks for people, which is what we are asking her to do right now. :)

LisaMarie said...

Wow, I'm quite shocked at anonymous's comment. You are a brave soul to keep your blog open to total idiots....oh, did that just come out? Sorry. I guess I need to grow up too....

Anonymous said...

maybe nicole is just really, really stubborn! i can just see her stomping her feet and refusing to do what you want her to do.

Martha said...

P.S. I've posted. nothing earth shattering. Just explains my disappearing while not explaining my disappearing. Yes. vague. I'm enjoying that now.

P.P.S. if you haven't been enthralled by Arcade Fire, check them out. They are my new favorte band.

Dale said...

OK, I'm an innocent victim here! Unless I was drugged...