Friday, May 11, 2007

Ma Bell's my enemy

I work in telecom but I hate getting telephone calls. It’s not that I don’t like to talk to people, I do, but I'm never around when people call – I'm either at work/school and can’t answer my cell phone when friends call, or at an appointment/already on the phone so I can’t answer my office phone when my clients call.

As a result, my friends/clients seem to be forever leaving me voice mails, which I like less than getting phone calls. I literally cringe when I see the red blinking light on my phone indicating that a message is waiting. As a result, I am terrible at returning voice mails promptly because I typically don’t listen to them for a few days. I can’t really get away with this at work where I have to call people back to be polite/professional; but even then I often reply to their VM with an email which I like SO much better– it’s fast, convenient, and to the point. I think that I've just gotten burned out from talking all day that I appreciate the break email offers.

How this happened to the person who spent 4 hours a night every night on the phone in HS talking with friends is beyond me…

6 comments:

LisaMarie said...

I get this. And I don't even talk on the phone that much! I'm TERRIBLE about returning calls.

I feel your pain sister!

Megs said...

I know exactly what you mean. That's why I only answer or return phone calls typically when there is nothing on TV or I'm in my car.

Finlands finest said...

I find this terribly ironic!! I am the same way though.

Martha said...

did Lindsay cancel her blog? no more baby updates?!

Viki said...

No one ever calls me, so I don't have to worry about that. No, not really, but I typically don't get calls all that much, so whenever I do I almost always answer my phone and tell people that I'm busy and that I'll have to call them back. I do this as a way of conveying that I'm glad they called, but now I'm wondering if it's annoying that I'm answering and telling them I can't talk?

I would call you more often and feel guilty for not doing so, but usually I do end up leaving vm so I'm glad to see that you're probably not offended that i don't call because then you don't have to listen to more vm. :-) Wow that was a run on sentence...

TreyJ said...

Don't feel so bad. You hate getting voice mails. I hate leaving them. No matter who I'm leaving them for, I sound like a boy trying to talk to a girl that he has a crush on but he's really embarassed and can't complete sentences or something.