Wednesday, May 30, 2007

I Have an Opinion on Everything: Receipt Edition

Similar to my pet peeve on how restaurants waste a lot of food on oversized portions we don’t need, I have a similar issue with businesses that unnecessarily print out 2 feet of receipts for a simple purchase. I think perhaps the worst perpetrator of this is Blockbuster. Why I need not 1, not 2 but 3 separate receipts for an item that I'm taking with me and won’t return for money back at any time is ridiculous. I have never known anyone to actually have a use for any of the receipts Blockbuster, or most vendors, print out except for those budget-conscience folks who track every purchase/dollar spent via keeping a receipt copy or of course if you're concerned you might return the item for a refund.

My solution: have a single button on the cash register that is “no receipt” and is pushed in response to a negative answer to the question “would you like a receipt with your purchase today?” That way, those people like me who would pretty much NEVER want a receipt don’t waste the paper and those who do can continue to get them. I suspect this would save companies thousands of dollars per year in paper.

No comments: