Wednesday, May 16, 2007

I Have an Opinion on Everything: Restaurant Edition

I share an annoyance with my grandparents that came to light yesterday when I had dinner with Karen C (thanks again, Karen!): restaurants always give you way too much food. You read in the news all the time about how Americans’ concept of a portion size is sometimes 2-4X what the professionals would deem “1 serving” and as a result, we eat and eat and get fatter and fatter.

When I went to Chipotle for dinner last night they didn’t fill my bowl as full as they normally did. My first reaction was to pipe up and ask for some extra but then I figured, “why do I need to eat a 5lb. burrito bowl anyway?” and kept quiet. Lo and behold the portion they did serve me was not only finishable, but had me comfortably full and not stuffed. I think I just got used to seeing my bowl piled inches higher than the rim of the tray and translate it to “that’s how it has to be” versus "that's how it needs to be".

I’ve said it before, but I really wish that restaurants would correct this issue by giving me 1/2 the food but charging me 2/3 the price of a “normal” meal. That way they’d still be making a great profit and I’d feel better that the meal was more affordable. I wouldn't overeat and I wouldn’t have to kick myself the next morning for forgetting the doggy bag on the table when I left because there wouldn’t be one- I'd have finished all my food the night before. Side benefit: we'd eliminate all those smart alecs that exclaim "feel free to send my "wasted" food to the poor children in Africa 'cause I'm not eating it."

7 comments:

Finlands finest said...

I agree 100% with this post. I would love for restaurants to give you smaller portions!

I can go out to dinner and order two side dishes and get plenty to eat. Sometimes I just order the side salad. Course when you want meat, that doesn't work.

Viki said...

I agree as well - I've taken to the following tactics:
-ask for half portions or for the lunch portion even if it's not on the mention
-getting a doggie bag right away and putting half of my dinner in it
If I don't do one of those I always eat too much and end up too full...

Megs said...

I agree as well!! There's never any room for the best part of the meal... dessert!!

Tom said...

Unfortunately restaurants want the most money from you every trip. Therefore to justify higher prices they throw food at you. Higher cash outlay per trip is the name of the game.

Also now that know about supply chains it is obvious that the problem isn't a lack of food for the globe but rather a poor distribution system to get our excess to regions that need it.

Katrin said...

I also fully agree with this post. Fortunately portions here are way less than in the US, doggy bags are still not very common. And most restaurants would give you the kids'/ladies'/seniors' portions if you ask politely.

But again... stuffed on Mexican? I'd have to save my money for ages here! :)

Anonymous said...

I agree, I would love to go to a place where you could get several small items for $2 each a la carte.

But why sell you a profitable meal when they can sell you enough food for 2-3 meals on 1 visit and increase there earnings? They only have 2 ways to grow sales, open more stores or sell you more food.

Fact: The avg restaurant meal contains over 2,000 calories.

Dale said...

Agree with ya! I always thought they should do the same concept as Dim Sum or Spanish Tapas and serve lotsa small portions. Just hafta figure out a business model for that...