Friday, May 18, 2007

Game Chic

Jim and I pride ourselves on being on the forefront of all new games and introducing them to my family where enthusiasm spawns from there. Let’s review the past few years:

2004: Cornhole is all the rage. Parents, grandparents, and children alike enjoy tossing beanbags outside in the sunshine. Steve & Jim capitalize on the trend by making and selling their own sets.

2005: The Erdahls teach Jim and Karen Mexican Train Dominos. Quickly buying a set of their own and teaching the Templins, now nearly every extended Templin family (aunts, grandparents, etc.) owns the game. Mike and Lindsay got their own set for Christmas this past year.

2006: Bocce is introduced as the “new cornhole” after family picnics with Jim’s side of the family where the game is played. The game is so universally loved it makes its debut appearance as a second tournament at the Annual 4th of July party. At least 3 bocee sets were purchased by guests of said party as a direct result of playing there.

2007: And the new game is…?? Jen & Josh taught us a card game called Quiddler a few weeks ago that I bought for my mother for Mother’s Day this year. When we left the cook-out there were 6 family members playing the game, including Mary Ann who doesn’t normally play anything. It’s unfortunate that Jim doesn’t care for it as much…

4 comments:

Megs said...

I can't really vouch for you introducing me to cornhole since I was playing it in highschool approx. 2001 or so, but definitly Mexican Train Dominos. It leaked over into the Wolf's family where Tom, Jonathan, Bryan and I would play almost every night... while Mary Ann watched :) I received my dominos set last Christmas from them! Grrreat game!

Mamma Sarah said...

Cornhole... well what can I say... it's a southern Ohio thing. Yes, you introduced it to me and now that we have our new house...

Mexican Train Dominoes rocks. I'm sad to say that my family had already been playing it, but we did invest in our own set shortly after playing with you guys. :-)

So what's in store for 2008? Hmmmm...

Anonymous said...

Hooray, I'm so proud to be the introducers of Quiddler to you! :) It's very exciting to consider that it could be the new game of the year for the Templins et.al. Hehe! It is certainly a fun game, and I'm glad to hear your Mom and family are enjoying it!

TreyJ said...

OK...what's this Mexican Train Dominoes? Never heard of it before.