Friday, February 10, 2006

Wisdom Teeth Recap

Surgery for my wisdom tooth extraction was at 8am this morning and a weird experience. I got in and they took me back right away. The numbing part was not fun (never is!) but obviously manageable. The doctor and the nurse were trying to be natural and keep me calm but I was incredibly anxious. I didn’t even notice until the doctor wiped some tears off my cheek that I was crying – not out of pain but in nervousness. I’m such a wimp, I know.

It took about 12 minutes to fully numb each side of my face. The doctor asked if we had any kids and I quickly responded “if I can’t handle this how in the world would I get through childbirth!?”

They looped my top left tooth (#32) and wiggled it out of me. I did hear some cracking but I was trying to listen intently to my Rascal Flatts as not to notice (which did help a lot - thanks Mike, for letting me borrow your iPod). 45 seconds later, tooth was out.

The second tooth, my bottom right (#16), was impacted and seemed bit more involved as the dentist didn't follow the same procedure as the first tooth. They tapped on it and tried to clamp it (which actually hurt a small amount). I felt a little tug and a little pain. That happened twice and, amazingly, the tooth was out before even realized it.

I bled through three gauze rotations (just stopped spitting blood about 10 minute ago, 3.5 hours after surgery) but in general am not in any pain. I’m just starting to get feeling back in my left cheek but I suspect I won’t be able to talk normally for several more hours as my tongue, chin and right side have no feeling at all.

All in all, it was not worth getting as anxious as I did over it. Not that I want it repeated, mind you. I’m not swollen at all and I assume that means I won’t be. I’m drooling like a freakin’ St. Bernard though.

Oh, and Karen, I did keep the teeth for your biology classroom. One is pretty cool the other is one of the strangest things I’ve ever seen root-wise. If I change my background I’ll take pics and post it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear it went better than you expected. Hope you have a speedy recovery, we all know it is hard for you not to be talking :) And don't worry - an epidural is much better than any novicain the dentist gives!

LisaMarie said...

wow, you had it MUCH easier than me. I have to have mine surgically removed. I was under a local. I was actually partially concious. I kept saying ow. The doctor thought I might really be feeling it for a while. Then he took his hands out of my mouth and I said Ow again. I was just making it up. Don't remember a THING after they stuck the needle in my arm. Glad I didn't have to do it your way!

Viki said...

You're not a wimp - as I read your post I was squirming and my mouth actually hurt. Thank God I was knocked out! The only reason I'm jealous of you...you probably get to eat nothing but ice cream for the next few days. :-)