Monday, February 20, 2006

Oblivious

The man across the street from us is dying. Our other neighbor friend, Winnie, told us about 3 weeks ago that they were starting to bring in hospice full time. Since then there have been a half a dozen cars in the driveway and parking in their lawn nearly all day every day. Friends and family, I assume, who are with him until the end.

I wonder if they think it rude or unfair that we come and go from the house and do our regular things while they are there with my neighbor, watching him lose his battle. I think it’s amazing how a tragedy is going on right across the street and Jim and I don’t know any better than to just live life like nothing’s happening, because on so many levels we don’t know what’s happening.

I don’t know how that man feels or how his family is suffering. I don’t know what put that lady in the car next to me in such a good mood. I don’t know what my co-workers do at home after they leave MTCI. Hell, I don’t know what Jim does most of the 9 hours I’m away from him at work.

I think it would be so interesting to just wander around with a complete stranger for a while. A day, a week, a month, what’s ever a good amount of time to really begin to learn about the person. Especially those who are so unlike me – those financially separated from me high and low, those with different religious beliefs, those who lead completely different lifestyles. I mean really, what would a day in the life of a dominatrix be like?

I guess that’s why I’ve really come to enjoy blogging. As much as other folks let me I get to find out what they do and think when I’m not physically with them to see it happen. This is somewhat rhetorical, but I wonder if people think my life, written here for review, is interesting. Would a complete stranger? Do my close friends?

6 comments:

Mamma Sarah said...

That's what makes like wonderful, mysterious, happy, and sad. Life is suppose to keep up on our toes, otherwise we would know already what to expect day in and day out.

Blogs are great because we get to peek into others (and I mean strangers) lives and see what it's like. What's amazing so far for me is to find out there are so many out there with the same story/life and then there are those stories/lives who you can only dream about.

Just my thoughts on the whole thing.

Anonymous said...

You don't know about my day when we are not together... well, from 8:45-11am I manipulate a Foreign Exchange spreadsheet, from 11-1pm I workout and eat lunch, then from 1-5pm I'm either in meetings discussing P&G's financial state of well-being or preparing the 10Q quarterly report. Pretty boring eh.

Maybe follow Viki around as then you would see some of Italy :).

Karen said...

wow - my first comment from the hubby!!!

LisaMarie said...

You husband makes an excellent point. I wouldn't follow Jim around for a day either! That's sounds way more than just boring! LOL!!!!!!

Now Kendall would be cool to follow around. Right now he's doing urology....he looks at wieners all day. That would be "interesting".....

Karen said...

when is "take your wife's friend Karen to work" day?

RandomBitsofDigitalFlotsam said...

This is a very fascinating conversation that you and I need to have over lunch one day Karen.