Thursday, February 23, 2006

Class Update

OK, I know this subject is going to get boring… but a general update from last night. There are 6 people (including me) that overlap from my Tuesday class into my Capstone class that meets last night. As you can imagine, the test and the cases were the only topic of conversation going on. Who knows what the rest of our class must think of us as we rambled on for 20 minutes.

Mindy threw out her idea of going to the Executive Director of the MBA and sending an email with all of us copied to show Jen we’re all feeling the same way (suggestion of a “unified front” was based off of your comments in my blog! Thanks for the advice). People were pretty willing to do this with little hesitation. Jeana, a perky blonde who sits in front of me and participates quite a bit in my S & SM class, got a D on her case and as you can imagine was stunned. Her course of action (prior to this conversation in class) was to send him a personal email stating that she wrote her case in the format she has for her 3 years of MBA previous to this class and she has always gotten an A. She also made some other points as well about the format of the class. He responded by the break in Capstone so we all gathered ‘round her computer to read: he said he understood her frustration and others had made similar points. The most frequent grade given on the cases was a B-/C+ with many C-/D's thrown in too. [Any NORMAL teacher would have seen this as the first indication of a problem....] He was doing some contemplation on the class and was going to consider some changes that might lead to improvement. He also said for her to bring her case in and he’d reevaluate it. His closing was annoying: “remember that everything in class, good and bad, is a learning experience to be appreciated”. What BS.

I’m now considering following her example and writing to him directly (hell yeah I want him to review my case again) and using his response to my request as my ammo for going or not going to the MBA office. Thoughts?

3 comments:

Viki said...

I'd ask him to review your case again, and yes, then you would have ammo to take to the MBA office. I think that if most of you in the class are doing poorly after progressing through the program and doing well, it should shoot up red flags to the department.
I also think the BS he's given your classmate about everything being a learning experience is certainly a bad sign and that this guy needs to be reprimanded somehow.

Mamma Sarah said...

I second Viki's comment. I would still go to the MBA office with your other cohorts. There is no reason for this at this level... His BS is just that BS and your classmate shouldn't tolerate that!

LisaMarie said...

I just say ditto to the other ladies.