Wednesday, February 15, 2006

First Kiss Memories

The other day I was driving home and heard a song I don’t usually hear on the radio: Stairway to Heaven. While I don’t normally consider myself a fan of classic rock, this is one of those songs that spans generations. Besides the fact that this song always seemed to close out our high school dances, Stairway to Heaven holds a special place in my heart because it was the song playing when I got my first kiss.

*In my best Sophia Patrillo voice* Picture it: LaSalle High School Rock Jam, 1995. My girlfriends and I had collected together in the LaSalle gym following a losing game for the football team. The Rock Jams were impromptu “dances” where all the teens who flirted throughout the game gathered to “freak” each other and gossip about what ugly clothes other people are wearing. I was dating Matt, my then-best friend Sue’s ex-boyfriend who I had a crush on the whole time. He was 16, same as me, and we had gone out a few times but had not officially declared to be boyfriend/girlfriend.

The dance progresses and we hit the wind-down of the night. The music blends out from some rock song and floats into Stairway to Heaven. Matt and I slow dance. I remember being anxious because the stage was so perfectly set for him to kiss me and I was worried I wouldn’t know how to do it “right”. I tried to bury my head into his shoulder to potentially avoid the situation but feign being romantic. God knows what he was thinking – perhaps he was as nervous as I was? About halfway through the song I braved looking up at him and smiled.

On cue, Matt leaned down and kissed me. It was very sweet, very gentle, and not too difficult to learn as I went. I remember feeling a little stubble on his chin and thinking that was so grown up. I remember hoping that my girl friends near-by were seeing it so I they would gush about it and relieve me of bringing it up. I remember looking forward to the next kiss that I knew would be even more natural.

When the kiss ended we danced out the rest of the song and held hands on our way out the dance.

Hearing that song on the way home from class reminded me of the whole scene. Amazing how a song will do that for you…

7 comments:

Mamma Sarah said...

Ewww... just kidding. I bet if you were to ask him the same thing (just some random girl and not you) what song was playing... he would probably not remember.

I was in a park with a boy (also a Matt) and he kissed me... made my heart jump out of my chest.

Gotta love memories.

LisaMarie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
LisaMarie said...

That's a very fond memory. My first kiss was AWFUL!!! I wish I had a story as good as that to remember!

My first kiss was in the front lobby of the high school. My boyfriend at the time was more "experienced" than I was. The first time he tried to kiss me, I ran away yelling that I had to catch the bus and I HID at the bus station.

The second time he tried he actually made contact. It was slobbery and wet and a hall monitor broke it up. Very embarassing. It never got any better with him, I had to use his sleeve as a paper towel every time we kissed!

RandomBitsofDigitalFlotsam said...

I was the very shy type, and the girl kissed me ;).

Her name was Jaquiline, and I was 15, she was 17 (I've never dated a younger woman). I remember that "Right Now" by Van Halen was playing on the radio at the time. We were in her car, just after we had gone to see Batman I think. (The first one, with Michael Keaton and lots of Prince music)

I had absolutely no idea what I was doing, but she at least told me it was good. I've had quite a bit of experience since then, and I think she was lying :) .

For me, the first time with any woman I've been with has been the same. I always feel like my first time, and I am always nervous. And it is always intoxicating :).

Viki said...

This is making me reminisce as well...I guess I was a youngun' in comparison, too. Hope that's not a bad thing.

It was the summer after 7th grade and I was up at Camp St. Mary's in Eagle River, WI with a bunch of teachers and kids from River Trails Jr. High. After an evening walk in the woods and a bonfire one night we were all going back to the cabins, and Nick and I walked back holding hands. When we got to the girls' cabin I went to give him a hug and looked up at him (he was 6'4") and he leaned down and kissed me. It was very soft and sweet, and it still makes me smile every time I think about it. :-)

Karen said...

You all are adorable!! I'm glad you shared your stories - i liked reading them!! :)

Anonymous said...

How much fun to remember the "good ole days". My first kiss was terrible, then to top it off we were interupted by his little sister who then announced to everyone load enough for us to hear! Talk about embarrassing. Luckily, it dig get much better :)