Thursday, February 09, 2006

Mom's House Hunting

For a few months now Mom has been sending me updates about houses that are coming up for sale that she thinks would be good for Jim and I. Somehow the only houses for sale in Cincinnati seem to all be within a 5 mile radius of her house. Amazing how the housing market operates! Really, though, it’s very flattering that she’d want us so close.

When she came over the other night she brought more housing news – the house across the street from her is going up for sale within the next few weeks. My immediate reaction was to laugh it off and joke about how annoying it would be for them to see us all the time. Yesterday, however, she sent me an email that was cute in nature but clearly got the message across that she was serious about us considering it. She even pulled the “free pet-sitting and baby-sitting whenever you want” card. I never thought I'd consider being one of "those" people who lives in the same neighborhood as my parents.

Thing is, I don’t think I would really mind living across the street from my parents. While that truly does demonstrate how strong my link is to them, there are some really nice perks that would come along with it. I expressed this to Jim last night and he’s kind of on board – while he has no issue living that close to them in general, he doesn’t want to live in their specific neighborhood (basically he wants a bigger/newer/more expensive house than theirs). He suggested that we find a house for us and entice them to move to our new neighborhood!

This truly is one of the greatest blessings in my marriage – while I, of course, think my family is fabulous, it’s nice that the person I’m married to agrees. Makes life so much easier!

7 comments:

Mamma Sarah said...

Oh my... Next you'll be trying to boot out any new neighbors out of their houses so that your friends can all move in too... lol.

LisaMarie said...

Kendall and I will be too poor to live in Karen's new neighborhood. And make sure your next house isn't what I call the "McMansion". Make sure it's built well!

RandomBitsofDigitalFlotsam said...

Ya, I wouldn't be able to handle that. My time in AZ left too much of "separate" streak in me. I need to have my space from my family. But I think that's partly because a typical "family" get together in my mother's terms is like 30 people.

It's wonderful for the kids, having so many relatives to play with all the time. It was great growing up.

It sucks a)being single, b)being almost 30, c)having younger cousins starting families, d)having 5 aunts approaching that magic 60 mark comparing what's broken/sagging/replaced/fake/whatever.


;)

Viki said...

My mother swears the best thing she ever did was not move in across the street from her mother. Your mother is different than my Oma (i.e. she wouldn't be at your house telling you what was wrong with it all the time), but...

Karen said...

I went to my parents yesterday to get the iPod for this morning and checked out the house from a differant view than when i was 5 and wanted to swim in thier pool.

It really is a nice house. I do think i could tolerate living there. But jim really doesnt' like it and he's financially working out a way for us to get a mini "mcMansion" so that all of you can come live with me. :)

LisaMarie said...

GAAAAAAA! Don't get a McMansion! Even if it's a mini one! Make sure the doors are solid wood, not hollow! And check around the edge where the ceiling touches the walls. Jim (my brother) paints those new homes and told me they use CAULK to fill in the GAP that's left behind from cheap drywalling. He's made me very skeptical of building my own house. We're talking million dollar homes here getting caulk in the gaps.

Karen said...

i totally missed what a McMansion is. I thought it was just a big house!! Thanks for the warning on your blog!!!