Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Comments about the Sales Exam

Class last night was insane. I talked with the regular “early birds” who beat me to the classroom and they all admitted studying but weren’t surprised that I didn’t. The exam was so dumb- all of the questions were taken right out of the teacher’s manual. Some of them proved that it would have been helpful for me to study but I still think I got them correct. Other questions were so poorly written it was frustrating. For example, the question would state “Which statement is true about mission statements” and like 3 of the 5 statements would be true. Prof's advice was to pick the best answer (isn’t that what teachers always say??) but if I picked one of the other, still true answers, you better believe my ass will be arguing for the points, especially if I find written validation for my answer in the text.

One section actually required quite a bit of math that, while not complicated, was too large to do in your head. Why would you put such questions on an exam and not tell people to bring calculators? People, including myself, were pulling out cell phones to do the calculations. Also wrong with this problem: the paragraph of information leading up to do the four related multiple choice questions had an error in it that made the math wrong. I pointed it out to him and he responded “oh…. Well I guess just base it off of 48 weeks then instead of 52”. This is in addition to the multiple typing errors in the problem. UGH!!! Take the time to prepare an accurate test!

Upon turning in my exam I got my case study back from 2 weeks ago – I got a B-/C+. What the hell is that?! My GMAT (entrance exam for Grad School) writing portion put me in the 99th percentile nationwide for writing; there is no way on God’s green Earth that anything I write deserves anything less than a B (this is the one skill of mine I’m pretty proud of, can you tell?). Mindy, my buddy in class, got the same thing. She was so pissed off she wanted to stop at the MBA office after the exam to see if there was someone she could talk (aka complain) to.

While I have the next 2 weeks off class (Spring Break & Orlando), I fully intend on calling the dean in to audit one of our class sessions to see first hand what the guy who openly admits that he was hired after ”a 10 minute conversation with the Marketing Dean” is doing to us.

3 comments:

Viki said...

You poor thing...this reminds me of 2 different but both bad situations:
-My anatomy class at UD for which the professor was 20 minutes late for every class. This basically added up to an entire class period per week (3 time per week class), and he wondered why our class was doing much more poorly than the one right after us.
-Trey's last promotion exam on which there was a question without a correct answer.

Good luck resolving this. I think that if your dean sits in on the class at all and/or looks over your tests, you'll be Ok.

RandomBitsofDigitalFlotsam said...

Been there, definitely sucks. While not as optimistic as Viki (I've had deans admit there was a problem and yet refuse to fix it due to political situations), I agree having the dean sit in on class or look at the test can't hurt.

In regards to writing, you should definitely be proud of what you can do. However, what was the essay given a lower grade for? (Yes, my grammar sucks right now, and I'm ok with that.) Was it content, actual structure, or what? You may have a perfectly grammatically sound paper, and still get a lower grade for not following instructions to a T, picking a subject the prof has a beef with, or simply being one or two words short of exactly how long he wanted it to be.

Now, knowing you, I'm sure you're right and the essay should have been a higher grade, but you didn't indicate what it was marked down for here, so I would be remiss if I didn't point such things out ;).

LisaMarie said...

Good for you! You're paying way too much money and spending valuable time after your job, you don't deserve crap. I totally agree with everything you said!