Monday, February 13, 2006

Olympic Watching Day 1

I watched the Olympics for about an hour and a half last night. These people are absolutely amazing. Trey’s pondering (www.hornplayer.blogspot.com) mirrored mine – how the hell do they learn how to do this stuff!? If some guy said to me get on a flat board and stay on your feet long enough to get down the half pipe in one piece I’d say he was nuts. These crazy people do 1080’s and 1260’s over 20 feet above the pipe wall! That’s 7 spins!!! Further, these ice dancers are flying at like 20 miles an hour and have someone lifted, above their head, with one hand like it’s nothing.

Also, I think it’s funny how after about 5 minutes of watching Jim and I are suddenly expert judges of performance. We were watching the men’s half pipe finals and the Finish guy did an OK job. Jim says, "that’ll be a 34". Sure enough, it was a 34.2. HA! Also, we’re now “qualified” to commentate on trick height and difficulty. This fact is more ridiculous because we haven’t watched these events since the last Olympics 2 years ago!

Also, someone please tell me why Sharon Stone was at the Olympics and a large part of the Opening Ceremonies?!

1 comment:

TreyJ said...

Thanks for the plug!

It's funny, isn't it, how we're all subject matter experts on the stuff after very little exposure? I was watching ski jumping today at the gym and found myself analyzing everything, despite my lack of experience. But then again, I guess plenty of people with little musical experience criticize the work I do all the time, too, so it's really no different.