Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Ryan Homes

We spent about four hours with the builder rep yesterday (love her!) driving around Lebanon looking at different house models. We had our initial list set at 5 potentials and I think that we’re going to narrow this down to 3 now. The Oberlin, while externally pretty, has a smaller feel on the first floor. Since I suspect most of our lives will be lived on the first floor (with all of you visiting regularly!) this weighed in heavily in the decision to cut ties with this option.

Here’s the skinny:

Jackson- this is the smallest house by square footage. We’d be upgrading the following: cabinets, countertops, 4 foot family room extension, 3-car garage, morning room, master suite bathroom. The basement in this house was awesome.

Courtland- this is the first model we went into, the middle sized house we’re considering, and the one we’re re-visiting on Saturday afternoon. We’d be upgrading the kitchen, master bathroom, and the garage only. This is the big brother to the Jackson (adds 300 sq. ft. but is the same floorplan).

Avalon- this is the model whose floorplan I like the best but the house is too big for us (3600 sq. ft plus a basement we’ll eventually finish- I'm afraid of the heating bills when this happens). The house is beautiful with great rooms, full kitchen, AMAZING master bedroom suite, etc. but we really don’t need that much space. I suspect that unless they wheel and deal on this a great bit we’ll be tossing this model out too. Why doesn’t this option come 1/3 smaller!??!

Next Step: re-visit the Courtland on Saturday, review the option sheet for it/others so we can see all the areas we want to upgrade (ie crown molding, ceiling fan runs, hardwood, etc.), and get a final offered price. Jim says he’s 75% on board with this neighborhood as the final decision.

Oh, and for those of you who expressed your distaste for houses without porches - there are some porch options I saw in another Ryan neighborhood in Fairfield. Jim and I are going to drive through and take pictures for ideas.

10 comments:

Megs said...

i really love that floorplan! but does this mean there is a 75% chance your moving to lebanon??

Viki said...

I like it, too - the first floor layout looks a lot like my mom's house, which made me think of something...I know it was almost 15 years ago, but my parents built the house they're in now. If you've got any questions on anything I'm sure Evi will be happy to get questions...

Finlands finest said...

I like them all....if you get the big one, Greg may try to move in. :)

LisaMarie said...

So are you going with Lot #2? I'd go with lot 2. Go with lot 2. hehehe...

I think all of the plans looked nice. 3600 sq feet sounds like a lot, but what if you plan to live there forever? The house will feel much smaller with teenagers living there! =)

I'm sure anything you guys pick will be awesome and we'll all be very jealous!

Karen said...

no reason to be jealous! you all will be hanging out there - it should feel like a second home to you!

our lot (#2 most likely) would be in Colerain (not Lebanon)

Viki said...

Don't feel jealous Lisa. It will be years before we're able to buy anything...

Martha said...

How exciting. I agree with Lisa about growing into it quicker than one would think (my parents' old house felt real tiny with everyone in it and anyone looking for privacy)

Mamma Sarah said...

Like I told Jim... depending on how big you make your family I would go with the big one. Especially if you are planing to stay there for a very long time... not to mention you need all that space for the social gatherings (sounds better than parties) you'll be having.

RandomBitsofDigitalFlotsam said...

I agree go bigger than you think you will need. There are ways to mitigate costs heating and cooling the larger areas.

Also, I built my house too, and you know I'm always willing to help/answer questions.


You know, one thing that I find unique to Cincinnati is the tendency for older children to move into areas of town that they grew up in. I'm talking specific neighborhoods, everything. Everyone I know that did not grow up in Cincinnati reports very different experiences. Same cities, yes, but not quite the same loyalty (if you want to call it that) that we have here.

This is highlighted in the whole eastsider/westsider crap we all dealt with in high school. Hell, the first thing some of Jen's dad's side of the family asked me what which side of town I live on and what high school I went to. (I grew up technically west side (Hamilton), went to St X, now live on the east side.)

Anyways, the building process is fun, so enjoy it!!!

Anonymous said...

The Courtland 1st floor is exactly like Rachel's Mom's house. Even with the mud room and step down family room. But theirs is built by Dixon.