Friday, January 12, 2007

Reading for the Masses (pun intended)

I was honored to be asked to be a reader at Sean and Anne’s wedding tomorrow, a request that was very touching to me. Being a reader is cool because you get to get up in front of everybody (proof that you are important to the bride and groom), you sometimes get a corsage or your name in the program, and you don’t have to spend all the money on bridal showers, dresses, hair, etc. like the bridesmaids do. The downside of course is that you don’t just get to “stand and look pretty” like the bridesmaids, you actually serve a function (reading, duh) so people pay full attention to you and how well you do.

The first time I ever read in a wedding was at Jen O’s and I was really excited about it. As I sat in the church and the ceremony progressed my nervousness grew and grew. Same thing for Christina’s wedding. This is slightly confusing to me because I don’t normally get nervous about public speaking. I'm in sales for crying out loud- my job is to present information. I attribute my nerves to the fact that, unlike the workplace, my family and friends (people whose opinions actually matter to me) are in the audience.

So, wish me luck tomorrow. Hopefully I won’t stumble all over my words or get dyslexic when I get up there.

8 comments:

Mamma Sarah said...

Just remember to breathe and smile! I'll be there holding my breathe for you! :-)

Anonymous said...

good luck tomorrow karen! you will do fine though. if it helps, just picture everybody in their underwear ... lol

Viki said...

I read this thinking "Karen, nervous?" Thinking harder, though, I'll still get nervous singing in front of people once in a while - that big gig I had in October was for a big German community crowd and I was having the problem where my legs shake a lot. Early on in college I almost always worse skirts to perform in because my leg shaking wouldn't be as noticiable. :-)

You'll do fine - good luck, and have a great time!

Sarah said...

I think you hit the nail on the head with your comment about being in front of people you care about. It's always harder when you're emotionally involved in the situation.

I have no doubt you will be amazing and wonderful, as you always are!

Martha said...

Good luck! Send my congratulations, well wishes and love to them, esp Sean. :-) I thought I wasn't invited. apparently my invitation was lost in the mail....sounds hoacky, but I got a personal phone call from the groom asking if I'd be able to make it b/c I hadn't rsvpd....made everything better. I wouldn't have been able to make it, regardless, but I was honored to be invited.

Martha said...

oh yea. changed your quote again, eh?

Katharine said...

Good luck, Karen. You'll do a great job. Send my regards to Sean...I have to work and go see about a puppy tomorrow :)

Martha said...

are you going to give a recap of the wedding? I'd LOVE to know how it went. :)