Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Avalon Update

Yesterday was a day of anticipation and frustration. Around 11:00am we put an official offer in for the house… and then waited… and waited… and waited. I finally got a call back around 6:00 when I was having dinner with Tom so I called Sheri back around 8 to get the scoop.

They don’t want to negotiate.

This was very frustrating because I had really gotten my hopes up that this would be an easy process. I spent about 24 minutes on the phone with Sheri and we re-strategized. I took out the quartz countertop (figuring we can upgrade it on our own) and raised our offer. She didn’t sound too optimistic but she has all the incentive in the world to get this accomplished as she’s paid on quantity of houses sold not on the price of the house.

Anyway, Jim and I talked at length last night and agreed that this is our final offer on this house. If they don’t accept it we’re not willing to pay essentially $20K over our asking price for the house while they’d only come down $8K. As we see it, we really like this house and location, but the other houses we see online are literally $40,000 less and look very nice on their own. Even if we did major additions/upgrades to one of those to make it our own we’d still probably break even compared to this house. And those houses come painted, with trees and grass, and neighbors, and… Besides, how can we move into Chuck/Kristi’s area of town or Dave/Rachel’s if we went here?? ; )

Bottom line, we feel comfortable with this decision though disappointed that it’s not be an easier 22 hours.

9 comments:

Megs said...

Sorry to hear about the disappointing news. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you as well!! Good luck!

me said...

I am sorry too, although not surprised. Home builders don't negociate well.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with everything! Hopefully it will all work out just as you have planned it.

TreyJ said...

Sorry to hear the first offer was a bust. I think you've got a good outlook on this, though. Something good will come trough, I'm sure.

Mamma Sarah said...

Good luck with the second offer. Hopefully they will wise up... :-D

Gtemp said...

Boo to these dumb people. Don't they know we are Templin's and we get what we want! Haha oh wait, you're now a Eutsler... j/k!

Martha said...

Good luck on your continued house searches!

hahaha to Greg's comment.

Finlands finest said...

Good luck!!

Anonymous said...

Don't feel bad about it. In this market you should be able to get what you want for your price. Infact up in Middletown, Ryan homes was working a lot of deals to move houses since the building market is so slow.
They even sold one of their new developments (lots w/ no houses yet) to 2 other builders because they were worried about selling it out.
I say don't budge and they'll call back in a few days to see "where you are in your thinking"
Come look over here, Rachel loves to go to open houses.