Sunday, January 21, 2007

16 Weeks

How your baby is growing: At 4 1/2 inches long (head to bottom) and 3 1/2 ounces, your baby is about the size of an avacado. In the next three weeks, she'll go through a tremendous growth spurt, doubling her weight and adding inches to her length. Her lower limbs are much more developed now. Her head is more erect than it has been, and her eyes have moved toward the front of her head. Your baby's ears are close to their final position, too. Her heart is now pumping about 25 quarts of blood each day, circulating her total blood volume through her body many times. (By the end of your pregnancy, this will increase to about 190 quarts.) The patterning of her scalp has begun, though her hair isn't recognizable yet. Although closed, her eyes are moving (slowly), and she's even started growing toenails. Her finger- and toenails will continue to grow throughout pregnancy, so don't be surprised if she needs them trimmed soon after birth.

My Take: Being pregnant is pretty uneventful right now. There is so little happening that I often forget that I’m pregnant! I can’t feel any kicking yet and won’t for another 2-4 weeks, I've stopped growing belly-wise from what I can tell, and there are no “symptoms” of pregnancy at all except the feeling of hunger more frequently.

Taking books’ and Jessy/Sarah’s encouragement, I’ve stopped sleeping on my back out of concern of weighing down some vein and nerve in my back (the baby smooshes it apparently) that’s dangerous to me. This (sleeping on my sides only) has been HARD to do and my subconscious is waking me up every hour or so to remind me that I’m rolling over and shouldn’t be.

I thought that when I got pregnant the world would start revolving around me but obviously no such thing happened and I see why - even I'm bored with myself and the process at this point - why should anyone else care?? I look forward to the 20 week mark where "things" are "scheduled" to get exciting.

I go in for my 4 month check-up on 1/24 (really the four month mark is on 2/7/07) and we have a scheduled appointment to get an ultrasound and find out the baby’s gender on 2/21/07!

6 comments:

Viki said...

Start the countdown - one week from today we'll know if the grape is a little girl grape or a little boy grape!

Glad things are uneventful for now - surely things will get crazier!

Kristin said...

Haven't been able to tell you this yet... CONGRATS ON THE BABY!!! ( i know i'm really late ;)

also congrats on the good evaluations in teaching :) it's encouraging to know you're actually effective at what you do!!!

Sarah said...

Elsewhere in the world there are hundreds of women with morning sickness and unbearable fatigue who are cursing you and your "boring" pregnancy. And of course you only make it worse by compaining about it being so boring.

Mamma Sarah said...

I agree with Sarah. Be VERY grateful that it's boring. It could become exciting at the end, but I found a boring prego experience is the best one. It reminds you how easy it was and you'll do it all over again.

The world is revolving around you. If you were having problems you would be wishing for it to be easy and for the lack of attention. Live it up now. :-) Soon enough we'll be hearing about how much your little Jr. is moving and kicking all the time. :-P

Karen said...

i am the most grateful person ever! i'm just anxious for the "good stuff" to happen!!

LisaMarie said...

Only a month til we know what to call the kid! YEAH!