Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Kid Comments

Some updates on this pregnancy process:
1) I claimed I wouldn’t be one of those people who unbuttons their pants and I’d just buy maternity pants when needed. Suddenly, I became that person!! So…today I'm wearing maternity pants for the first time. Once I tried the mom jeans on in the store with Megan on Monday I wondered aloud why I hadn’t bought some a week ago. What a frickin’ difference in comfort!

2) Sarah W is a mean person. She sent me this “birth plan” creator with about a million different items to consider just during the 2-3 days you’re in the hospital pre- and post-birth. HOLY CRAP is this thing scary and educational in an eye-opening way. Here are some examples of items I'm supposed to decide on:

So I can stay as mobile as possible, I would prefer to have a heparin lock administered instead of an IV. I need to look up what a heparin lock is...

If fetal distress is suspected and time permits, I would like confirmation of this with a fetal scalp blood sample before proceeding with other interventions.
a scalp blood sample?! If the kid is in trouble do whatever is necessary as soon as possible to remedy the situation.

If my pregnancy progresses past 40 weeks, I would prefer to base the decision to induce on the results of the baby's biophysical profiles, not on my own personal discomfort or impatience. 2 words for this one - bull shit. If I'm miserableI want this bugger out of me.

I would rather tear than have an episiotomy. This does not sound like fun

I would like the opportunity to touch my baby's head as it crowns. I do not want to delay the labor process for anything. I want it over and done with ASAP.

Please allow the umbilical cord to stop pulsating before it is cut. it does what!?

Please show me the placenta after it is delivered. like a car accident I'm strangely interested in seeing this, however, I think it's probably better to not know what gushy, non-pretty things are/were inside me

Granted I picked some of the more interesting items on the list to post here, but many of the others weren’t far off. Jim and I read the list together last night and his only and final thoughts on the subject were:

“I'm not watching, catching the baby, or cutting the umbilical cord. You can have whoever you want in there, but I wouldn’t want anyone else but us. Why in the world would anyone want to do most of this stuff? Just give me the regular old way they normally do things and I’ll be fine.”

7 comments:

Viki said...

You ladies amaze me, quite seriously. Sarah W first when she was the first to be a mom, staying out with us until way too late Reunion weekend like it was nothing.

Now reading this, I feel like bowing down to you guys knowing what you went/will go through. I know that this is a normal thing for a woman go to through, but I cannot imagine my body going through this.

You guys are amazing.

Mamma Sarah said...

WOW! How much do I rate that I get mentioned twice in a month?!?!

Sorry if I freaked you out in any way, but it's just stuff to be thinking about now, while you still have your mind about it and aren't getting anxious about the whole "process"...

BTW-the head touching thing... yeah, I would have loved to but there just wasn't the time (it usually happens in between contractions). The pulsing thing was new to me, but I'm sure it's because of the clamp and the stopage of flow. The tearing thing vs epis... well... it's painful however it happens and sometimes it's easier to repair if it tears naturally... you only stretch so far.

Just remember, I want to do it again so that should put your mind at ease a little. Oh, and if anyone wants to see this "plan" let me know and I will send you the link.

Sarah said...

Wow, that is a lot of stuff I would never have thought to think of! I can't imagine everything that's involved in the whole list! Though I think Sarah makes an excellent point, that now is the time for you to think about those kind of things and decide what you really want, instead of leaving it for the heat of the moment.

I'm SO glad I don't have to worry about any of this any time soon!

me said...

On to the poll:
"I would rather tear than have an episiotomy. This does not sound like fun"

I vote tear - cuz it was three little stiches vs. the what 20 or so and no muscle was involed then.

Karen, at our birth everyone else did things for me - no thinking - and something happens, you remember it all - but its a different memory - there isn't pain with it.

Martha said...

I'm sorry, but those are some things I never want to think about. not ever never no never!
Ironically you're blog is like birth control. And Sarah's makes me go, aww, I want one (like you can buy one at the outlet mall or something). I had to re-read yours last. ;-) But I know the rewards will be worth it when you are holding your baby for the first time(and hopefully drugs!) And I'm sure I'll be excited about even those sorts of things when the time comes for me. (hopefully a few years out)

Megs said...

I always thought the husband cut the umbilical cord but maybe I’m wrong. I don’t know. You don’t want either of your parents in the room though?? And yeah… that list is gross. You picked 2 of the worst ones though – the pulsatingness of the cord and delivering the placenta!

LisaMarie said...

Kendall is the exact opposite of Jim, for obvious reasons....I didn't realize he was that squeamish....