Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Home Buying

We’re making progress with this home building thing. The builder rep and I have gone back and forth via email several times and she’s good about answering my questions to the best of her ability or getting me answers on the things she doesn’t know. Each time we write I send her like 10 more questions to get me info on.

Last night Jim and I went through all the different models we’d consider (5) and talked about the pros and cons of each. Heating and cooling for a great room continues to be a major concern. So is the square footage – the house we designed is probably too big for us if we’re being truthful.

Here is the model that's front-running right now:

We also went to Home Depot and talked to one of their employees about the differences between Granite and Quartz. Really interesting education because we were both 100% Granite when we entered and now we’re both all for the Quartz option after learning more. Also opened our eyes to how much the builder is overcharging for these options. For example, on our 92 sq. ft. counter they wanted an upgrade cost of $10,500 on top of the counter price pre-built into the house. Home Depot wanted $7800 for the same thing installed and with a 10 year warranty!

Jim also found an article today talking about how much you can talk builders down on their houses – more ammo to negotiate!

So far the only real negative I have is that I don’t get immediate responses to my emails – I know that a lot of the stuff I ask has to be researched and priced, but I'm so eager to get answers I sit on the edge of my seat until I see her email pop into my inbox!

9 comments:

LisaMarie said...

I like this design. And while the square footage may be a lot for you now, think about the fact that you'll probably want more than one kid. Plus, even with one kid, you'd still like a guest room or two. Good info on the Home Depot thing. If we ever build, I'll definitely be asking you a ton of questions. Maybe you should write a book about it!

Gtemp said...

Now I nice sister would would just give her brother their old house since they seem to be doing so well... (wink wink)

Dave said...

I love household energy efficiency.
We have a great room. The heating and cooling costs can be managed. We supplement heat w/ an electric heater behind the couch (and a plasma TV doesn't hurt either). We don't need to do extra cooling, mostly due to the facing of our house (great room windows face north).
We have friends w/ a great room with windows facing west and no matter what they do can not cool it due to the direct sunlight.
We should talk more on this.

Mamma Sarah said...

It's a beautiful design... I'm just missing the front porch. I won't buy or build a home without one. :-) That's just me though. I'm with Lisa about the info on Home Depot. So what is the diff between Granite and Quartz?

Megs said...

That house is gorgeous! Good luck with everything! Like I said, if you have any questions, my dad worked for a home builder for 20 years (Williamsburg Homes) and then also owned his own business for 5+ years. Oooh Carol and I can help you decorate!

Karen said...

the difference between granite and quartz is that granite is totally natural and is "living" all the time. Therefore, if you spill something like juice on it it will absorb into the rock and may stain. further, the patterns are not consistant as it's taken from the earth and comes "as is".

quartz is granite that is ground up, has color added to form consistant patterns when it is reset. the advantage it has over granite is the consistant pattern/color and the fact that it's completely sealed when it's set so nothing will ever stain or chip away at it.

prices are pretty similar but the pattern selection for quartz is DRASTICALLY limited compared to Granite (which sucks b/c we found a granite pattern we both really liked).

OH, and dave, yes, let's do talk more about the great room heating costs

Viki said...

I agree with Lisa on the practicality of a bigger house - if you do end up having another child, you'll probably need the room, and if you're building a house, you probably want to stay in it for a long time, rather than have to move again in a few years.

I also agree with Sarah W on the porch thing though. :-)

This will be an interesting process to read about, too...

RandomBitsofDigitalFlotsam said...

I'll chime in on the great room issues:

I don't find it to be a problem at all. I have a ceiling fan in that room, and it takes care of most of the issues.

I love my great room. It just feels so open!

I prefer quartz for the sealed properties. Granite can get nasty over time, though it truly does a take a while to get that way unless you are a horrible housekeeper :)

Anonymous said...

I guess being the "old fart" of some inspiration and wisdom at times, I have the "BIG" question. I don't want to sound less that positive, but do you really want to build a house. I have built a house before and I would love to inject a dose of "reality" into the subject of what you can expect if indeed you decide to go this route. There just isn't enough room to talk about it here, but would love the opportunity to express my views and at least give you other options before you "sign the dotted line". Strictly my opinion.I know it can be really exciting to build that house, but there are things I can inject that will at least allow you to give it a little more thought. Maybe we can talk more about it Sunday at bowling. Who knows, the new maternity pants just might bring you your first 200. "Wow"