Friday, March 07, 2008

Write my name

Some people doodle when their mind wanders. I tend to write. I really like my cursive handwriting and find the borders of my page filled with names. Yesterday, during our staff meeting, I started brainstorming the name of my next kid: Charlotte, Brooklyn, Olivia, Elizabeth, Christopher, James, … all over my paper. Then I moved on to writing the names of everyone in the room: Beckie, Laurie, Megan, Thomas, Brett… Then I practiced writing my full name, Jim’s full name, Nic’s full name, Lisa’s full name, Sarah’s full name….

Eventually my VP nodded to my paper as it was full of writing and not much pertaining to me was being discussed. I just smiled and flipped the page from view.

I think this interest in writing names specifically stems from grade school and high school where girls practice writing their potential new name (you know, their name plus the last name of their current boyfriend) over and over to see if it looks “right”. I think Karen E……. looks better than Karen T……., but sometimes, even after three years of marriage, my mind slips when I introduce myself on the phone and I almost say my maiden name.

If you want me to send you your autograph just let me know. :) I can assure you I'll practice many times before it get it perfect.

5 comments:

Megs said...

That's hilarious... I was wondering what you were doing yesterday during the meeting :)

I think you're right though... girls did that crap all the time in highschool!

Mamma Sarah said...

You are too funny. And how much info did you really get out of that meeting?

Anonymous said...

Did you write my name???

Viki said...

I will often almost introduce myself as Viki Rill, and will almost leave messages that way if they're to people I knew prior to getting married...I used to do that name thing, too, but, ironically, never did it with Trey. :-)

Martha said...

Must've been a boring meeting. ;)

I don't see "Martha" anywhere in potential baby names. :(

While I'm sure, at some point, I did that girlie stuff, I have a haunch I did it a lot less often than most girls. Then again, I date(d) a lot less than most girls, so I guess I didn't have the same "opportunities" too.

My (former) coworker did that. After he was let go we found a notepad with all sorts of names written all over it. On the page with names for his child (we assume given 2 were ones we knew they were considering) there was the name "Martha" written once then crossed out(most names were written many times over). Weird. I however, think he SHOULD name little squirrel Martha so she can be Martha Lu (which is one of my nicknames from Givaudan).