Friday, March 21, 2008

Indian

There is a very small amount of people who will eat Indian food with me so it is always a treat when I can meet up with one of said people to grab lunch. A new Indian buffet opened just down the street from my office and while I'm generally against buffets, that’s pretty common format for lunchtime Indian dining from my experience.

Anyway, I had Indian this week and have concluded that I have no idea how to eat it. I really like a lot of the flavors (and some of the textures) but as I never had it growing up and Anjali is really my only Indian friend and I’ve never eaten with her, I just end up putting together stuff that seems to go together with no concept if whether or not it’s “supposed to” go together or not. Yeah, I know in general you should eat what tastes good the way you like it, but I wish I at least knew how to eat it authentically…. I spread some pea/mushroom thing over flat bread, I put this bright orange chicken dish over white rice… is this how the chef intended it to be eaten? I have no clue.

I tried to spy on the number of Indian people eating lunch around me to see how they arranged their plates but the angle was wrong and I couldn't watch what they were doing beyond just what trey they picked from.

Ah well, guess you can't go wrong if it still tastes good even if it wasn't meant to be put together that way....

8 comments:

Finlands finest said...

I love to eat Indian food. Call me anytime!!

Martha said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Indian food. I could eat it daily and not be bored (I've eaten in 5 days in a row, then went back after a couple days and ate it a few more days in a row and am never bored with it - that and Thai are the only two cuisines I can do that).

Tandori Chicken (bright orange chicken dish) I don't eat b/c it's artificially colored.
I take the yummy saucey dishes (saag paneer being my FAVE) and mix it with a little rice. Then I scoop that up in my naan and eat it that way. MMMMMM. Gotta have great naan.

You are absolutely right - you eat it the way it works and tastes best for you.

Anonymous said...

Your brother will eat Indian with you! I don't think he can give you any pointers on how to arrange/combine the different foods but I'm sure it would be an entertaining lunch :-)

Martha said...

wait...was this Indian food TODAY or earlier this week?
I ask b/c it's Good Friday. So wrong to eat Tandori Chicken or go to a BUFFET on a day you should be fasting without land-animal meats....

LisaMarie said...

So I just finally went back and read like 4 days of entries from you (I'm bad, I know) and have several comments to make...

1. Indian Food- YUCK
2. That yellow frosting- HELLO NEON!
3. That Easter bunny you're sitting with looks scary.
4. A pencil skirt and stilletos is HOT. :)

Laura said...

Interesting, it made me picture an Indian man going to Sizzler and putting macaroni on top of mashed potatoes and mixing spaghetti with meatballs and fried rice....I'm sure they might taste ok that way but not as good as mac'n'cheese wth fried chicken, mashed potatoes with gravy, spaghetti with garlic bread and fried rice with general tzo's spicy chicken.
Maybe looking through an Indian cookbook would shed some light. I've never eaten at an Indian restaurant, but tasted Indian dishes at pot-lucks, they were pretty tasty!

Viki said...

I will eat Indian food with you when I visit next, or you can come here and we can have it - we have some great Indian places right around us. :-)

TreyJ said...

I'm thinking that with buffets, there's really no wrong way to eat. Unless you don't eat very much. Then that's just wrong.

Love the Indian food. Now I've got a craving.