Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Kiddie Update

Nicole’s learning a lot lately – as you saw in the video last week she is very eager to stand. The babysitter has been putting shoes on her during the day (I normally just send her in socks) to help her balance and encourage her to take steps (which she rarely does). This morning I put on the shoes she got for Christmas from her Uncle Tom and Aunt Mary. She was very excited to hold on to the couch and have me let go but doesn’t want to admit she’s not fully stable – she keeps letting go! She fell over about 10 seconds after this picture was shot.


Check out that posture! She doesn't get that from her mother!

She says a few words – mama, dada, up, hello- and I'm working on “love” to be evolved out of her “la la”’s. I haven’t written any of these in her baby book because I'm pretty sure she doesn’t know what any of them really mean when she says them. She says “dada” to me (note I didn’t say calls me “dada”) most of the time and called a 10 year old boy “mama” yesterday. Ah well. She does know what “up” means as she puts her arm up when I say it to her.

She’s also learned how to get passed and will now lean towards the person she wants to hold her. My mom got dissed at church when Nic reached out to her to be held only to immediately reach for me once she was in her grandma’s arms.

We added pineapple, cheerios, & graham crackers to her diet recently. Her pincer grip has gotten really good over the last week and she has the ability to pick up and put in several Cheerios in her mouth in rapid succession. She does get easily distracted though and in any given feeding about 1/3 of the cereal pieces end up in her lap.

I'm also working on teaching her some simple sign language- I’ve started with “more” which I do between bites of food. Nicole often thinks grunting suffices and I'm not sure she’s grasping the concept or the sign I'm going for.
Still no interest in crawling... she won't even get on all fours. This is OK by me though as she stays where I put her - if I go to the bathroom she's still playing with the ray shark where I left her! Very convenient!

7 comments:

Laura said...

She'll we walking in no time, wow! She looks totally confident standing there. :)

Megs said...

I actually lol'd when i read the comment about Nic calling the little boy 'mama'. I bet the poor thing had a complex all day!!

I am still kinda in disbelief that the kid totally skipped over the crawling stage but I guess it's not really needed. I hope you are video taping like everytime she stands just in case she takes her first step!

You going to bring her back into the office when [blank] ppl go to a certain place in FL in a few weeks?? :)

Viki said...

Maybe skipping the crawling stage means she's going to be a very dainty lady - the excellent posture speaks to that as well. Soon she'll be requesting to only wear lace socks and frilly dresses. :-)

Martha said...

awww, I can't wait to see her in pink dresses. :) If I were a little girl again I'd tell my parents to put me in a dress all the time!
She doesn't need to crawl. That means she won't be wearing thru her clothes at the knees. :) Even better!

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna have a talk with Nicole and tell her to stay little for as long as she can. I am so sad that Ryann is gonna be 1 next week!

ps - I just wanna pinch those cheekies!!!

Mamma Sarah said...

I LOVE her shoes! They do help with stability and keeping those pesky socks on her feet. She looks like a different person standing. :-)

Glad to also see she enjoys playing with the Ray from the aquarium.

Finlands finest said...

I thought I left a comment--but its not here so:

Nicole is brilliant--grunting works for men so why not infants she asks??

If she doesn't want to crawl don't expect a wrestler out of her--she looks more like a soccer player (like her aunt Jen)anyway though!