Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Epiphany?!

I got another indication that HPCUMC is the right church for me yesterday. As I mentioned, we’ve been going to the contemporary service on Sundays. I even went without Jim two weeks ago, something I never would have done at our other church. The pastor who gave the sermon did it in several sections – he’d read a passage and then speak about what he thinks it meant and related it to present day life, then he’d go on to the next section. The whole thing, while not interactive, was exactly how I prefer to be taught – casually, using real-life examples, and not in a “do this, not that” manner.

Anyway, I was having lunch with a friend yesterday and a comment was made during conversation that was part of the sermon from the day before. Now this is probably just coincidence, but this overlap in ideas made me feel good I went to church. I don’t know that I’ve ever said I was happy to go to church for the sermon (for the music, almost always, for the actual oration, not that I can recall). The sermon was fresh in my mind and further punctuated the fact that what’s going on in those four walls IS applicable to what I'm doing when I'm out of them. I am very happy with our decision to attend here regularly.

4 comments:

Mamma Sarah said...

That's what it's all about! Glad your journey to find a church home is finally over.

Finlands finest said...

Having a church you are comfortable with and feel that it does fit your everyday lifestyle is fantastic. Glad you found a good church home :)

Viki said...

I, too, am glad you feel that way. I'm always happy to hear a good sermon for that reason, too. My normal church job, despite being at an incredibly conservative church, had a great priest who left in June and then got a new one this year who both gave/give great, real-life sermons. When they're not talking about why women can't be priests and that kind of garbage, I actually enjoy them!

Martha said...

I actually went to Church this weekend. I don't go regularly as I can't find one I like, and while one is very convenient it's also the more offensive (I'd rather drive 5 minutes to get irritated than 30 minutes to get irritated!). Every time I go I end up more frustrated than when I got there. The current priest is probably not helping as his sermon this week mentioned why are people all whooping and holloring at sporting events, but not during Mass? Umm, I don't think people should be rowdy like that at Mass. So I left them a comment on their webpage (they were asking about this suspended crucefix they have that is about to be taken down during Holy Week). I told them that while it was initially distracting looming overhead, suspended over the alter like it could fall (I'm sure the cables are strong enough to support it, though), the girls attire (frayed microminis are common, not just on teenage girls but the 40+, too), noisey music/clapping, and the invariable cell phone ringing and subsequant conversation are more distracting than a crucefix. And to think I actually wanted to pray at church! That is not happening with so many distractions! Assumption was conservative and I liked it, and it is what I expect when I go to Mass. I don't go to mass for social hour or to hear the snare drums drown out the singing. There is a reason it is considered a religious ceremony - save the celebratory raucus for afterward.

I'm sorry. You mentioned Church and I got frustrated again this weekend. You got the brunt of my tangent....