Monday, March 17, 2008

This one's for you, Chuck!

I got a long distance dedication all the way from Arizona, headed out to my good buddy Chuck. Chuck’s letter reads:

“Dear Casey…”


OK, I'm making some of this up but he did write to ask about updates on three subjects:

My Father-in-law’s health: Doug’s doing okay. His foot turned bad again and he was on some high-end drug as a last-ditch effort to save it from being amputated. He’s still out on the road with Jim’s mom (Vickie) and are in Arizonia (Flagstaff) as of yesterday. He wants to make it back to OH so they can cut off his little toe as it's bothering him that much. : (

The 4 partial owners of our old house: We met on a Wednesday at a Credit Union to sign off on the documents and get them notarized. It was way more complicated than it should have been or maybe I am/was just tired of the whole situation and it felt that way. Anyway, we all signed, submitted the forms to the county for processing and officially closed on the house the following Friday. This was our first month with just 1 mortgage payment and DAMN did it feel good. This whole shindig cost us $111 for attorney fees and county fees and I worked VERY diligently to get the title company who screwed up to reimburse us which they refused to do on account of our not having title insurance (title insurance- “piece of mind” that I have to pay for to you in case you don’t do your job). In the end it wasn’t worth bickering over as the $111 paled in comparison to the $500+ the insurance would have cost in the first place. IRRATATING none the less.

Teaching: Two really cool things happened in the last month- 1) I have set my students up with mentors so they can see that I'm not just spitting BS at them; the subjects we cover actually do have real-life qualities. They’re required to interview said mentor and write up journals on the interaction. One of my students just got hired by her mentor! I got her her the infamous “first real job out of college”! 2) This past week one of my students showed me the announcement for the sales pitch competition she won - $500 prize! She said it went especially well as she got the assignment and realized “this is what we learned in class last week!”. So cool.

6 comments:

Mamma Sarah said...

Glad to hear that Doug is doing well, but not about his foot. :-( Hopefully they'll get back to Ohio sooner than later.

How exciting about your teaching stuff. That's fantastic to hear about the "kids" learning that you just aren't making crap up. That's the best kind of learning. No wonder why X loves you so much. :-D

Laura said...

Your poor father-in-law :(

Glad your house mess is finally over, what a pain! Good job not murdering someone in the process.

Teaching is hard, but rewarding when your students benefit from what you've done!

Anonymous said...

I think you should get the Teacher of the Year award!!!

Martha said...

I agree with Laura and not murdering someone.....
However, if you DO still have that desire to impose bodily harm, I know a claims adjustor who could learn a lesson or two....
(one being calling me back when he says he will)
congrats on the teaching thing. I'm sure that feels great.

Viki said...

So, is it the title company's fault, or that stupid lawyer's fault? Maybe he should pay the $111?

I'm sorry to hear about Doug, too. I hope things work themselves out for him.

And yes, congrats on your students!

Finlands finest said...

I'm with Lindsay--Teacher of the year award!!