Tuesday, March 04, 2008

One to Think About

A while ago I posted a monologue from the movie Shall We Dance that really struck me about marriage. I heard another profound quote in the movie Evan Almighty that has echoed in my head since I heard it.

Let me ask you something. If someone prays for patience, you think God gives them patience? Or does he give them the opportunity to be patient? If he prayed for courage, does God give him courage, or does he give him opportunities to be courageous? If someone prayed for the family to be closer, do you think God zaps them with warm fuzzy feelings, or does he give them opportunities to love each other?

7 comments:

Finlands finest said...

That is an amazing and profound thought. It really spoke to me. I agree with the quote too.

Thank you for sharing this, I have never seen Shall We Dance and I may never have heard this quote had you not posted it.

Martha said...

I do like that quote to ponder about, too.
wow, Karen's getting all theological on us.... :)

LisaMarie said...

So if I pray for a baby, what opportunity is God putting in my way right now? The 7th grader who is pregnant? Kendall thinks it's the opportunity to steal a baby.

So some lady in Kroger walks away from her cart (which I see happen ALL THE TIME) and I run away with her baby. Could I use the Even Almightly defense in court??? :P

Sounds like a good quote to me!

Mamma Sarah said...

Thanks for sharing this one!

Martha said...

a pregnant SEVENTH grader?!???? Are you serious?

Finlands finest said...

I cannot seem to get this quote out of my head. Now I am looking for opportunities that God is giving to me.

So what exactly happens for a person I ask God to bless?? Just a mere curiousity...

Karen said...

while i can't say i "encourage" lisa to steal babies, i do think it's pretty funny! :)

If someone gets a blessing requested i'd expect maybe just some extra "nice thing" will happen to them? ie the light will stay green a little longer (??) :)