Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Baby Facts


One of my favorite cute photos is of baby porcupines which got me wondering about their life pre-natal life and whether or not they poke through the placenta (which I can't imagine they did, but it crossed my mind). I did some research online and found the following:

A painful delivery?
Porcupine babies, called porcupettes, are not born with sharp or barbed quills, thank goodness! Instead, the porcupette's quills are soft and bendable, gradually hardening in the first few days after birth. The youngster will stay with its mother for just a few months before it's ready to live on its own.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that picture!

Viki said...

I like how they're called 'porcupettes' :-)

Viki said...

I like how they're called 'porcupettes' :-)

Martha said...

You're weird. WEIRD I SAY! That picture is ugly. reminds me of inverse sea anenomae (sp???), which are cuter and more fun in my opinion. I do like the porcupette term, though.
Weird thoughts you have going on there.

Finlands finest said...

I love the picture--and thank goodness the quills come out soft--could you imagine?!?!

Mamma Sarah said...

I'm with Jen... could you imagine. Thanks for sharing. ;-)

Laura said...

Ahhhhhhhhhh- I want one...no two!