Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Week 27

How your baby's growing: Your baby is really starting to fill up your uterus. This week she weighs almost 2 pounds and is about 14.4 inches long with her legs extended. She can now open and close her eyes, and she sleeps and wakes at regular intervals. She may suck her fingers, and although her lungs are still immature, they would be capable of functioning — with assistance — if she were to be born prematurely. Chalk up any rhythmic movement you may be feeling to a case of baby hiccups, which may be common from now on. Each episode usually lasts only a few moments, and isn't bothersome to him, so enjoy the tickle. With more brain tissue developing, your baby's brain is very active now. Wonder what she's thinking?

My Take: I’ve been having some minor abdominal cramping lately but it goes away when I lay down and my books say it's my body's prep for labor (grrrrreatttt). I'm not looking forward to my second, 3-hour glucose test this Saturday but Sarah lent me a book so at least I’ll be prepared with things to do.

Suzanne, a friend of ours due 1.5 weeks ahead of me, is on full bed-rest now due to her blood pressure. I'm VERY glad I'm not in that position.

Still waiting for Jim (and others!) to get to feel Nicole move…. My first “stranger” felt me yesterday – a client that I went to visit in the morning patted me down. Honestly, it doesn’t bother me a bit though I know random touching by non-family members freaks a lot of people out.

I'm trying to talk to her as much as possible which I accomplish mostly while in the car. I find myself calling her cutesy names like “pretty baby” and “little girl”. I'm also making a point to call her Nicky every once in a while too in lieu of her full formal name (I suspect/expect that we and others will flip back and forth between the two once she arrives). It’s hard to talk to someone you can’t see and who doesn’t respond… I'm not sure what to say most of the time so I end up describing where I'm driving to or what I see (“oh, Nicky, there’s a big hawk flying around outside!”). I'm sure I sound like an idiot to anyone who could hear me.

6 comments:

Megs said...

Awww I think that is so cute!! Again, I feel like I should stop cursing around you so Nicole doesn't have her first word be "shit" or something. If that happens, I'll take full responsibility! You can shun me or something. Anyways, I'm sure your test won't be THAT bad... hopefully the book will help. Do you want to borrow my ipod? Give you something to listen to!

Martha said...

I'm going to now assume every person I see talking to themselves in the car is pregnant. Hmm. the men, too?? What could their excuse be?

Gtemp said...

you are such a girl.... I'm ready to see my next niece so be popping her out. Sometime shortly after graduation would be preferred, especially if i have to keep nicole since you "have things you still want to accomplish"... lol

Mamma Sarah said...

I used to talk to Alex all the time. It's hard, what do you say to someone who can't respond. Stories of family and friends are a good one, apologizing for eating something that you know you shouldn't, jokes, singing songs... it's all helpful. Maybe you should get a piggy bank and start charging Megan a buck everytime she (or anyone else) swears... Nicole will totally make out in the end. :-D

P.s. Greg... she's suppose to be a girl. :-P

Finlands finest said...

I am going to start calling you to talk to Nicole and telling her all of the crazy things you did so she will understand her mom!

Viki said...

I don't think you're crazy at all for talking to Nicole. They say you're supposed to talk to your baby, right? And that it doesn't really matter what you say, but it's good for their verbalization if you talk...