Friday, April 06, 2007

HGKE

I am very excited about our new house. I went to the library on Wednesday to go through decorating books and get some ideas on colors, patterns, etc. for some of the main rooms. Primarily I'm trying to stay focused on the living room and dining room which I think will be my biggest challenges- they’re to the left and right of the entrance immediately when you walk in so therefore they need to coordinate with one another and the foyer. On top of that I have white, silver and navy china that I would ultimately like to display so the wall/window decor needs to go with that as well.

Anyway, the books weren’t much help (mostly because the pictures in them look nothing like our house- they’re always older with lots of windows and heavy crown molding), but one did inspire me to make a color chart of the house, which I did in powerpoint. I outlined each of the rooms and then filled in the boxes with a color I'm considering. It really helped me get an all-over feel of the flow of the rooms and how they coordinate – important because we have such an open floorplan.

I know I should wait until it’s closer until we move in to get paint strips because I'll not only lose them but change my mind about 8X between now and then... but I doubt I’ll be able to! : )

6 comments:

Megs said...

I think that all sounds very exciting! I love decorating! If you ever go out to the building site between now and then, please take me with you!

Oh and remember... paint is the EASIEST thing to change!

Mamma Sarah said...

Playing with colors is so much fun.

Finlands finest said...

If you would like to look at the whoolie tape, I'll lend it to you. Lots of good painting ideas on there. The whoolie I will swear by, its the best painting technique ever!!

Viki said...

THis sounds very exciting, but for me it's reason #32589 not to buy an actual house - I'd seriously have to hire someone, like my mother in law who is awesome at decorating, or my sister in law who had a degree in interior design. Maybe I can hire you to do my house when the time comes. :-)

I want to see your powerpoint when I visit in May. :-)

TreyJ said...

Our sister-in-law HAD a degree? Did they take it away from her?

LisaMarie said...

I love this kind of stuff! But I'm also super glad that the house we're buying is already decorated the way I want it. So that all of that brain wracking isn't giving me headacheS!