Tuesday, April 17, 2007

6 mo. Check-Up

Had my 6 mo check-up today at the doctor and here’s the skinny:

  • I’ve gained 6lbs. since last time that, while better than last time, isn’t ideal. I need to be at the 4lb./mo (1lb./week) mark
  • Total weight gain: 21lbs. (normal = 19-24lbs. at this point)
  • My initial blood pressure was 140/60. Because this is a bit high, the doc retook it about 20 min after the nurse's calculation and got 122/60. This prompted some questions about my family history of toxemia (which, according to my reading is pre-eclampsia- an issue Carol questioned if I had weeks ago when my vision was so spotty) and requested only a 3 week instead of 4 week delay for my next office visit
  • I got measured for the first time and when asked what my birth-weight was (6lbs. 6oz) she said that I could expect an average sized baby too! Wa-hoo!

Last night I had a whining spell. I have a new, deep appreciation for my old figure. I pulled out the boxes of my summer clothes and held them up- when I put a tank top up to me now my body is clearly visible on each side of the shirt. UGH. I tried the dresses that I bought a few weeks ago on and I look awful in them. I seriously feel huge and the fit of them doesn’t help matters. They’re going back tomorrow. The thought that I have 11 more weeks to go and it’s only fatter/rounder from here is sinking in and freaking me out. Carole said I look like a "cute pregnant lady" (every woman's dream!!) on Sunday but after last night I think she was just being polite!

11 comments:

Megs said...

Awww don't be like that!! You do look adorable! Atleast Nicole will be out before it gets TOOOOO hot (i.e. August). So maybe you can still get by with some light capris and the cute babydolls you've been wearing. I'm sure every pregnant woman has felt like this at some point or another.

Gtemp said...

just wait, in a matter of about 2.5 weeks you'll be able to get constant belly rubs all the time! You better enjoy this time now cause I'm sure you'll miss it in 3 months when Nicole enters the world

Karen said...

oh greg, i will miss you touching me all the time! ;)

Martha said...

ew. Karen. that is not something one should say to their brother...

I agree with Megan. And Carol. You ARE a cute pregnant lady! I'm sure it's difficult for designers to make clothes flattering for that ever growing basket ball on ones tummy...and make clothes that can be worn repeatedly while it is growing....

Sarah said...

I think you're beautiful!!!

But I also think that Megan is right and every pregnant woman has those moments.

Viki said...

Just smile, breathe deeply, and think about how it is only 11 weeks to go (holy shit!). Whenever you start to feel fat, remember that your body is doing amazing things right now. Remember, too, that probably every pregnant lady thinks that she looks fat, and that the rest of us think you're nuts because you're cute and BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Mamma Sarah said...

Hang in there woman! Just remember no matter what you think, you are beautiful! You have a beautiful life inside you that in only a few short months will be joining your family (and friends) for tons of fun. Hang in there... those of us who have been prego before totally know what you're going through! :-)

Finlands finest said...

I think you are a hot pregnant woman! Seriously you are glowing and beautiful!

Off comment: the best compliment my mom ever got was when she was 8 months pregnant and out to dinner with a friend, some man sent her a drink and asked her out and she exclaimed I am 8 months pregnant, he said, you're beautiful!

Karen said...

seriously, you all are making me tear up!! Thanks for the reassurance!

LisaMarie said...

I feel fat in my clothes too, and I don't even have an excuse! It's okay to whine sometimes. And the closer you get to "popping" her out, the more you can whine. We'll all think it's cute. =P

Anonymous said...

you are a cute pregnant lady!!! it's like 10 against one so we are right and you are wrong ... lol! once nicole pops out that weight will fall right off and you will be in those summer clothes before you know it!