Tuesday, April 03, 2007

The Purse Saga

When I was in college I had a navy leather UD wallet that held my student ID, drivers license, cash and 1 credit card. It was a simple case that folded in half with Velcro holding it together and a key ring dangling off the top. I swore I’d never need anything else in life as it held all the essentials and easily slipped into my back pocket with no bulge.

I kept that same style wallet for a year after I graduated. All winter it slipped into my coat pocket as easily as my jean pocket and life was great. Then spring hit, I didn’t have a coat anymore, and my sundresses had no pockets. I broke down and bought a purse, but just a little one as I obviously didn’t need much.

I chided Lisa for the “luggage” she carried around and claimed was a “purse”. I laughed at my aunt who’s bag carried enough random stuff for her to win the “What’s in Your Purse?” game at every baby shower we went to.

I carried my little 1lb. handbag with me and even changed it out for the seasons like I was “supposed to” though I never won the shower games because I only had the essentials with me. Life with a purse, I admitted, was okay.

When I went to TJ Maxx yesterday to buy a spring bag I roamed the aisles looking for the right one. I wanted a small, springy yet professional look, I prefer that it have a strap to go over my shoulder, and it needed a side pocket for easy access to my credit card. The Nine West one I found fit the bill and was less than $20. I even splurged on a new wallet to go in it.

When I got home I dumped my current purse’s contents all over the kitchen table. I transferred the library card, Kroger card, Skymiles card, etc. into the wallet and started putting the lotion, Tylenol, pens, nail file, hand sanitizer, Spree candy, Starbucks gift certificate, ... into the new bag. Then I tried to zip it.

Somewhere in the last 3 years my “essentials” list grew from 3 cards and a $5 bill to over 15 items, several of them bulky. The haunting voice of Sarah W drifted to mind “just wait until you have a diaper bag- the purse will be out the window and you’ll live and die by this huge carry-all.” I yelled at her to be quiet. Her spirit laughed back.

AUGHHHHHH!!!! I'm becoming a big bag woman!!!!! I was nearly ashamed to return the cute purse back to the Maxx. I looked both ways to see if anyone saw me evaluating the large Ralph Lauren pink logoed tote that looked a bit more chic than the standard diaper bag that maybe could be seen as some type of hybrid between purse and babybag. In the end, I couldn't do it. It was defeat just admitting I needed the next-size-up purse. I slinked up to the counter, exchanged the two handbags, and threw the contents of the old purse into the new when I got back to the car. I think I have it filled to within ¼” of the zipper.

12 comments:

Jessica said...

HAHA! My purse is really a second diaper bag. Although I may not win the "Guess what's in the purse" game, I do always have a spare diaper and little girl panties for emergency use!

Megs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Megs said...

That’s hilarious. I remember when Carol and I finally got you to use a purse last year. Those were some priceless expressions we saw while walking around TJ Maxx and Kohls!! I don’t know what my “goal” was but I remember Carol’s was to wear a skirt, your’s was to use a purse… and mine??? I don’t know.

But back on topic… they make some pretty cute “carry-ons” that would be perfect for a diaper bag! I’ll have to show you next time we get a few minutes away and can head over to Target or something. We’ll make you a fashionable mom.

haha and I remember the... "what in the world would i fill a purse with???" As Carol and I simultaneously respond... "you'll find stuff" (evil laugh)

Anonymous said...

I would like to tell you to take a page from your husband's book and carry a money clip w/ 1 credit card wrapped in a $20 bill and a drivers license. No wallet needed.

However, you would add duress to my life by doing this as when we're together and I need an Advil/lotion/pen/spare change/etc, I look to your purse. I open it and get that glow, similar to what eminated from Marcellus Wallace's briefcase in Pulp Fiction.

Sarah said...

I was totally going to comment about your post, but then I ended up laughing my head off at Jim's comment and totally lost my train of thought!

Viki said...

I agree with Jim's conclusion - I've always carried a purse because of what I or someone else could end up needing, and I usually have affirming moments at least twice a month...

That being said, I do limit the size of my actual purse so as not to actually carry around luggage. I do have a much larger bag I carry to work that contains my large salad container for lunch, stuff to do on the train, music, etc...

Mamma Sarah said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. That's all I'm going to say. :-P Oh and I totally laughed my butt off at Jim's comment too! Women's purses/luggage totes do have that glow about them. :-D

RandomBitsofDigitalFlotsam said...

Ok, I laughed my ass off at Jim's comment as well.

However, I'd also like to compliment his courage in actually opening a purse.

It's a little known fact that one of the unwritten man laws is to NEVER, EVER OPEN YOUR SIG OTHER'S PURSE.

You really just never know what you are going to find!

Martha said...

This was such an entertaining post. I laughed. :)

I don't currently use a purse, and I've been wondering where the heck do we get those little leather things college students use? I could use one of those again...Perhaps when I rejoin the real world I'll use one again (now I'll even carry just my wallet and keys than put them in a purse)

Anonymous said...

good call on the spree!
well worth a purse upgrade.
If there are 3 or 4 of one color in a row I find myself forced to eat all of them at once until the color changes again

LisaMarie said...

Hmmm, maybe I've always just been "ahead of my time" with the big bag....Plus, Jim's right, your bag is already a "Mom bag" in its own rights. Kendall asks me to put stuff in my bag for him all the time. And he needs things from it to! LOL! I'm PROUD of my giant bags. They're very useful...esp at the movies when I want to sneak in candy. =)

Finlands finest said...

I have two comments!
1. Tom has entered my purse to get things and has asked me to put things in my purse an obvious violation of his stated man law :)

2. My purse seems to keep getting bigger and bigger.