Wednesday, April 25, 2007

30 Weeks, 10 to go!

How your baby's growing: Your baby's a bit more than 15 1/2 inches long now, and she weighs almost 3 pounds. A pint and a half of amniotic fluid surrounds her, but that volume will decrease as she gets bigger and fills out your uterus. Her eyes open and close, she's able to distinguish between light and dark, and she can even follow a light source back and forth. Once she's born, she'll keep her eyes closed for a good part of the day. When she does open them, she'll respond to changes in light but will have a visual acuity of only 20/400 — which means she can only make out objects a few inches from her face. ("Normal" vision in adults is 20/20.)

My Take: I'm tired. My schedule has been jam packed lately and combined with poor sleeping for the last month, I feel like I'm in slow motion today.

I don’t have (or want to share) a picture of my stomach, but I have the linea nigra (a darkened vertical line running the length of my stomach) full force now which threw Jim off when he noticed it recently and/or finally got up the courage to ask what the heck it was. More weird than this to me, are the changes my belly button has undergone- it used to be a deep “innie” and now is more shallow and flat. I do not look forward to it popping out!

And my husband's take??
This was an exchange over email this morning:

From: James
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2007 10:41 AM
To: Karen
Subject: all kinds of changes

I will have to go into the company system w/in the week following Nicole's birth and fill out all kinds of forms for insurance, W-4's, dependency, etc.

I guess that makes us even... you get to go through the birth process and I get to fill out these forms :)


From: Karen
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2007 10:45 AM
To: James


“even” - yeeeeeeaaaaahhhhh

15 comments:

Megs said...

Awww!! See, you don't like all the changes... the bigger belly and belly button... I think it's all adorable! I'd probably think differently if it was my body but luckily right now, it's you and not me ;) What is the line from? Shall I even ask?

Karen said...

pigment in my skin changing. from what i've read everyone has this line but when you get pregnant your pigment changes because of horomones and it darkens.

Karen said...

oh, and it's not that i don't like it - it's just weird to look down and see things like that on you that weren't there before!

Finlands finest said...

I think you are doing great! Nicole will be here before you know it! Now your belly button is changing and you are getting stripes. :)

Finlands finest said...

I never knew this stuff happened while you are pregnant! :)

Viki said...

Jim is funny.

I was wondering how your belly button was doing - I know a lot of people switch from innies to outies. What happens to people with outies though? Hmm...

Jessica said...

Sorry, I am still laughing!!!!
I never got that line, probably because I am Sooooo pale. Just wait until after the birth and you stomach has no more muscle tone :)

Mamma Sarah said...

Poor Karen has become a zebra. Just kidding. You are so totally cute as a prego, stripe or not (it does go away). Hang in there with the belly button. You may not "pop", I didn't, but Danny thought it was the grossest thing about me being prego. He'd make fun of it and use it to "talk" to Alex. :-)

You need to take some breathers and unschedule yourself. Make people come to you and stay in bed more (on the weekends). I know you love to be active, but remember... 10 weeks until a little one runs your schedule for a few months. You and Jim need to take this opportunity to enjoy all the "alone" time you can get. Smell the roses! :-D

Finlands finest said...

Oh my, I didn't see the email from Jim before...that's funny! I have never been pregnant or given birth, but somehow I don't believe that can ever be comparable to paperwork.

Gtemp said...

Jim does have a point. In fact, I think you should even thank him for being so thoughtful. Everyone knows how much we all hate filling out forms but I guess there are just some things that us gentleman are willing to sacrifice for you ladies...

Martha said...

the boys DO have a point. seriously, for ME, pain of childbirth would probably be worth not dealing with a lifetime of all/any paperwork hassels (however. knowing my luck, we'd probably be on MY insurance and I would be the one who had to do the paperwork...but "he" can still do the taxes)
My brother told his wife that the belly button is like the turkey pin. When the baby is ready, the innie pops into an outtie. (his wife is due in about 3 weeks (??) and her innie has not turned into an outtie yet, however is flatter)

Martha said...

the vision in my left eye is 20/400. it's not as bad as the world makes it out as what babies can see...

LisaMarie said...

First, let me point out that this isn't the first time that Karen has had stripes. I've seen the picture of her sunburn....LOL! Second, Viki's question about outies made me laugh and at the same time bothered me because all I could imagine was an outie that kept getting bigger and bigger and bigger.

And Jim's email is hilarious. Plus, it's funny that he WAITED to ask you about the line. Sometimes he seems so innocent....

Dale said...

Typical Jim! I laughed so hard.

Sarah said...

I find this all so humorous!

Elisa's belly button has just started to pop out....she's just a few weeks ahead of you.