Friday, March 30, 2007

New Foods

It’s FRIDAY!!! I'm going to my parents to see Ryann tonight and tomorrow morning I set off to ___ Akron (I’ll assign an adjective when I get there and check it out) to see Sarah!

-------------------------

My father is one of those guys who orders the same thing every time he goes to a restaurant. Somehow, he’s also that guy that always complains he ordered the wrong thing. One would think the answer to this problem would be to try something new, but we all know how people are in general about new things.

I try to not be “that” person and try new things on a semi-regular basis. Probably the easiest area I find to do this in is new food. I’ve sung my love song for Taco Bell before, but I've branched out and tried about 10 new menu items over the last year and have actually found some new “regulars” from doing so (specifically Mexi Melts- yum!). Recently my new expansion is yogurt flavors. I used to be just a Strawberry Banana girl but in the last 6 months I’ve tried Strawberry Cheesecake, Pina Colada (a new favorite- it has real coconut in it!), Vanilla, Chocolate Mousse, and today I'm trying Orange Crème which tastes just like a cream-cycle.

Even Jim’s in a kick of trying new foods. He was a typical only child when it came to dining – if he didn’t like it once as a kid he never had to eat it again and therefore missed out on some great things along the way. New things he’s tried in the last year: he ate Peruvian with me last weekend, now eats blueberry bagels with raspberry cream cheese, organic peanut butter, PB&J, shrimp stir fry, and a homemade quesadilla. I'm proud of him!! He’s never had Ramen noodles before though, and while it’s not particularly healthy or delicious, I feel it’s my duty to catch him up with the rest of us previously poor college students.

Any other suggestions are welcome!

9 comments:

Megs said...

I love the blog about food!!! Although, now I'm starving! Wish I had some suggestions but you know me... I try new things pretty much just when I'm with you! I like it though... if it's not expensive and I won't go hungry if I don't like it, then I'll try it! I esp like trying new things on company lunch days... i.e. alligator and that sea bass fish or whatever it was! Yumm!!

Finlands finest said...

Ethopian food is a must try!! There bread is very unique!!

I like to think I'm pretty good about trying new foods (meatless of course) but there's also room for improvement there. :)

Anytime you want to try a twist on a regular food, just come over to our house and we'll have Tom whip something up, he is always getting creative in the kitchen :)

Viki said...

I get stuck into food ruts, but do try new things...and if I find something I love, I stick with it until it's no longer available.

My latest new food item - Starbucks locations throughout Chicagoland have Wheat Flax Braids (aka Flax Bars or Whole Wheat Braid With Flax Seeds). They are wonderful and very healthy, and I've found they make the perfect breakfast for me. The dense, chewy bread is so full of fiber and other nutritious stuff that I can have one for breakfast and I'm still not hungry four hours later!

Mamma Sarah said...

Oh this one made me sooo hungry. Don't forget to add to Jim's list stuffed mushrooms. He was a good sport and tried it. :-) You should totally try the Key Lime Pie yogurt. Mmmmmm...

I'm usually not too adventurous, but am willing to try something at least once (except internal organs of animals). We should have a foodie party where everyone brings a new dish... Could be pretty interesting.

Sarah said...

I've gotten a lot better about trying new things lately, especially since Adam forcing random things on me!

I'm like Viki too though, I find something I like and then I get stuck in a rut with that thing.

Also, the Key Lime Pie yogurt is great, especially if you mix some crunchy cereal in with it....yumm!!!

Gtemp said...

you are just weird... My rule (remember this is coming from a college student- super broke) is that if kroger doesn't make it then I shouldn't be eating it. I hate to break it to you but but the only yogurt that krogers makes is strawberry, strawberry vanilla, blueberry and raspberry. I refuse to pay for anything that costs more than 10 for $10.

Natalie said...

Hello Karen! Although I have never met you before I have heard a lot about you! Don't worry its all good things!I just wanted to say that I LOVE Peruvian food! I had it in New York with my cousin and I really have not stopped craving it since! Crazy crazy!

TreyJ said...

The thing with Taco Bell (or any similar fast food chain) is stick with the basics. Don't get too fancy.

The other thing one must realize with taco bell is that they only use maybe 8 or 9 different ingredients, so a lot of those items are pretty much the same anyway. Call it "Variations on a Theme of Grade F Meat." :-)

Katrin said...

Good thing that I had dinner before I read this! I always try new food, whenever we go out for dinner we try to find new restaurants. My bf's dad is like yours: always orders burgers at TGIF and then says he doesn't like the soft bread. Why he does it is beyond me! If you do the foodie party I can provide some recipes from this side of the Atlantic, if you don't know them already. ;)