Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Flawed = Ideal

I really like people who aren’t perfect and don’t pretend to be. It makes me appreciate them in general so much more because I think they’re honest (if you can say something unflattering but true about yourself I know I can trust you in general), personable (friendly enough to be open about things that aren’t necessarily roses and sunshine), and genuine.

Some examples (and 2/3 of these have been publicly stated in blogs so I don’t feel too bad repeating them, besides, I'm using these people as illustrations of folks I LIKE):

1) One of my vendors just had a new son about a month ago. I asked him how his oldest daughter, the new big sister, was reacting to the baby. His response: “She’s cute sometimes, then, when we’re not looking, she hits him. She’s got some jealousy issues but we’re working on them.” FINALLY, someone who will confess their kids aren’t flawless and adorable all the time!

2) Viki admitted that when she went for her Idol competition that her legs shook with nervousness. THANK YOU for saying so – I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets performance anxiety! She made me feel much better about my own apprehension now that I know professionals face the same issue.

3) Lisa owns up to the fact that she sometimes gets jealous of others who have babies. As a person who will have a baby, her forthcomingness about this helps me be a more sensitive friend (hopefully) and makes our relationship better (we don’t offend one another on the subject if at all possible).

A big HOORAY to those real people out there! I commend you!

7 comments:

Megs said...

I almost feel like I should right something bad about myself here to show how real I am but I can't... I'm perfect :) I'm jk... I agree with what you're saying though. "Perfect" people annoy me. Hooray for keeping it real!

Viki said...

Interesting post, and I totally agree that people should be honest about flaws. It's really important for future generations to see that things aren't perfect all of the time (how many of our mothers cried when we got into big fights with siblings?).

Still, how many of us are afraid that others will not like us because of those flaws? Even I have a few that I'll never admit to in public. Some are bigger than others, and it's true that certain flaws do turn people off. Then again, do we really want to be around people who judge us like that? Hmm...

LisaMarie said...

I agree with Viki. People who judge have no place in my life. Especially if you haven't walked in my shoes. I find that one of the hardest things to hear from people is advice about what I should be doing about my baby situation. If you haven't been in this type of situation, you have no right to give me advice on what I should be doing.

At the same time, I think it's good to admit to your friends when you have a flaw. It shows that you're grown up to admit you have it and that hopefully you are working on it. Plus, like you said, then your friends can be more sensitive to the situation.

On a more personal note, don't ever feel like you can't tell me something about your pregnancy or your kid when she's here. My friend Amy used to worry that it upset me when she talked about her sons. Not at all. It's not her fault (or yours) that I am having trouble having a baby. Friends listen to each others problems and complaints. It's what we do.

Mamma Sarah said...

If we can't share the bad about ourselves (along with the good) then what kind of friendship would we have? I would think that something is seriously wrong (and that you were totally lying to me)if you told me your life was nothing but total happiness. Nothing is perfect. I'm just so glad that I can be open and honest with my friends.

Finlands finest said...

Great post! I have often thought and felt the same way. Although like Viki, there are some I would never admit to...

TreyJ said...

I am perfect. I only act flawed so people will accept me.

Martha said...

I'm siding with Trey. And I'm quite disappointed that you hold it against me that I am perfect. (I'm so perfect God DUPLICATED me!)
:)