Monday, March 26, 2007

Weekend of 3/23/07

Friday night we headed up to Dayton to see the Erdahl’s. They were nice enough to change plans very last minute and come down to Cincy last Saturday because of the uncertainty of Lindsay/Ryann’s progress. Anyway, we had meatloaf (with this really amazing sauce), these awesome cheesy potatoes that I had 3 helpings of, and then brownie sundaes for dessert. Mmmmmmmmm!

I want to make special note that Lisa is a great sport. We taught her a card game, Shanghai, the week before and she wasn’t fully grasping the concept (it was 11pm in her defense). Anyway, SHE asked if we could play it again on Friday so she could give it another shot. Not only did she play the whole thing through (about an hour or so) but she did really well. Granted my generous husband kept his guard down and gave in to her (as he always does, he has some weird affinity for her that perhaps I should be suspicious over… they even have a nickname for themselves: E Squared. hmmmm... I'm teasing of course!). Anyway, great night in general.

Perhaps even better than Shanghai, however, was Lisa finding PM Dawn's "Die Without You" on the VH1 site for us. First of all - they're black!? see the vital things I missed in middle school without cable TV?! What a frickin' amazing song!! And Lisa owes the tape (somewhere)!

Saturday: This was our date day and we bummed around the whole afternoon and watched movies and just generally spent time together. Awwww, we’re adorable, I know *gag*. We tried Peruvian food for the first time together at this new place down the street. Jim briefly considered having beef tripe (cow stomach) until the waitress made a face while explaining it was “chewy” that indicated he should avoid it. It wasn’t bad but I doubt we’ll go back- too many other good ethnicities. My parents met us at the theatre where we watched Breach (B+) and then we headed home for some general chatting.

Sunday: got up, ate breakfast, went to church, babysat Alex (who was SO good and we didn’t even permanently damage him!) while Sarah and Danny house hunted, and then went bowling. We won ¾ games and lost the first one pretty much solely because of me (I didn’t even break 100). Then we headed home for cod and 2 hours of the Discovery special Planet Earth. Interesting series.

Anyway, that’s it from here! Have a wonderful Monday!

6 comments:

Megs said...

Maybe I'll have to have you teach me Shanghai or however you spell that. I love cards but I haven't learned any new ones in a while. Oh and yeah... I didn't think that restaurant seemed to appealing... I'm glad Jim went with you instead of me!!

Viki said...

I almost ate cow tongue in Belgium until Trey pointed out what it was...I wouldn't want to eat a stomach either...

Glad you had a good weekend!

Martha said...

I've had tripe as part of a Chinese hot pot dinner....and it was fantastic (however, I had a Chinese woman fixing this Chinese dinner, and did the tripe portion to get it right. Like most things, it is not rubbery if done properly). It's pretty bland, it will pick up the flavor of what it is cooked with. It had a nice texture...I forget, really, how it was, but I remember liking it (and I'm a texture person).

Finlands finest said...

I don't know. I am a texture person too and that sounds a little risky to me. I think Jim did the safe thing!!

Karen, not having cable probably benefited you far more than you realize!

Katharine said...

i've never had tripe. my only experiences with cow stomachs involve living animals. but oh the stories i could tell.
surely you had the cuy instead?

TreyJ said...

I'm trying this a second time since it didn't seem to "take" the first time. I apologize if you're getting a double post here.

On some gig in Italy they tried to feed us tripe. I didn't go for it. I did try cow intestines (vietnamese style) once a long time ago, but I can't remember the name of the dish. Probably couldn't pronounce it anyway. I don't recall being impressed.