Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Spanning the Gap

Back in HS the age difference between you and the person you were talking to/dating seemed to be an important fact. Especially at McAuley (my HS that was all-girls) one of the first questions was always where he went to school and then promptly followed by what grade he was in.

One summer I met a guy at Lori Layer’s sister’s wedding (her cousin if I remember correctly) and talked to him for a little bit after the shindig. He was 2 years younger than me and I can honestly say that not long after this fact was uncovered I disappeared. Sounds like a really dumb reason to stop talking to someone, I know, but at the time it was completely logical and merited. That was the only time in my whole life I ever even considered a younger guy.

I don’t know where I originated this notion that the woman should be younger than her husband/boyfriend. One of the best couples I know, Christina and Byron, have a 2+ age gap, her senior, and are a great match.

When I met Jim I knew he was older than me and liked that fact. It didn’t fully dawn on me until after 2 years of dating him that he’s almost 3 full years older than me, but when it did, even at my mature age of 24 at the time, that fact was almost something I was proud of. Like 3 years is a big deal. *eye roll* I see how this notion makes no sense but yet I’ve been thinking it so long it’s stuck in my head as the “normal” way of doing things.

For some unclear reason this age appreciation does not factor in at all when it comes to my friends. While I know how old most of my friends are, the fact that Dale graduated the year before me or that David’s kids are closer to my age than he is makes no difference. I like the people for who they are and we find a lot in common regardless of our age difference, if any.

Am I the only crazy person who thinks this way?!

10 comments:

Megs said...

No… I think everyone does that when they are younger. It’s a big deal in highschool and even college! I like the fact that I tend to date guy’s that are 2-4 years older than me. And it’s become even better and easier since I’ve turned 21. Once you get out of college though, you all tend to have the same set of goals. One of my closest friends (not naming names here) is over 10 years older than me… but I don’t ever notice it. We’re on the same level with a lot of things and I think we have a lot we can learn from each other. It’s not crazy!

Finlands finest said...

I don't know if you will remember this, but as a sophmore I dated a freshman named Frank...

I never thought that way, mostly because my mom used to tell me to give everyone a chance and dating younger guys was a good thing. She used to say that women out live men by 5 years so if you marry someone older than you chances are you will outlive them by quite a few years...

Lucky for me, Tom's family has some longevity, Especially since he's older than me!!

Gtemp said...

See now when I was a sophomore in high school I dated a senior in high school for several months and even went to prom w/ her. Dating an older girl however may not have been the best idea. She was super cool and all but I think she got a lot of pressure from people for wanting to date me which was part of our downfall...

Just about every other girl that I have dated tho has been in the same grade as me (but yet somehow still always seem to be younger than me).

Viki said...

I think when girls are younger, dating an older guy is important because girls mature faster than boys. Notice how in about 7th grade all of the girls want to date but the boys are still acting like idiots? After that I think there's this traditional feeling of wanting to be taken care of, which an older man is much more likely to be able to do.

If we were all smart, we'd marry men who were 8 years younger than us because they're less likely to die that much sooner than we are!

Martha said...

NOOOO. I've dated a couple guys younger than me (by younger I mean several years younger, and one being in the last year). NEVER EVER NO NEVER NOT EVER AGAIN (yes, I feel so strongly it required the quadruple negative). I'm sorry, I gave it it's chance, now it's a fatal flaw. The immaturity and leachiness was so prominent, it ruined it for anyone younger than me. :) As if I'm such a great catch everyone younger than me is pining for me....I just jinxed myself, didn't I? But as long as they are older than me, I don't really care. I've dated 10 yrs older (prob my longest relationship, too). I say my "acceptable age range" is from my age to 12 years older than me. But then, I shouldn't be too picky given I'm 27 and still very very single even w/o any prospects.

Katrin said...

No "culture difference" here - as a teenager I also thought very poorly of people who were younger than I was. Now I don't care, I like having friends of all age groups, it gives me all kinds of perspectives. I also ditched a boy who was two years younger than me when I was 16. The poor guy was heartbroken but I didn't care. Now I feel bad about it... Can't change it now!

LisaMarie said...

So I had this really long response. And Blogger deleted it! I refuse to write another one.

Just know that I agree with your sentiments on the topic. Grrrrr....stupid Blogger.....

Dale said...

I guess I should respond if I'm specifically mentioned in a blog... Karen, I've got to be at least two years older than you right?

I've always wanted to date girls younger than me... One theory I have is because I'm an older brother, so I've always had it in my head to be taking care of someone. I like the idea of helping someone find themselves and supporting their goals. Granted that doesn't mean they hafta be younger, but this is probably all subconscious anyway. I guess a younger person is more in need of that.

Mamma Sarah said...

Danny and I talk about this alot since he's 4 years older than me technically. I was graduating high school when he was getting out of the military... yeah... strange to think about it like that. I always dated in my same grade, but liked older guys most of the time. Girlfriends are different in that I had friends 2 years behind me and 2 years ahead of me. You're not strange!

RandomBitsofDigitalFlotsam said...

Well, I ALWAYS dated older women.

When I was a sophomore, I was dating a much, much older woman, as she was 22 at the time. It was a good fit for me, as I was mature for my age, and she could drive! (I was young for my class, didn't get to drive until Junior year.)My parents didn't approve, but it set the mold for the next 10 years for me. I always dated someone at least 2 years older than me from that point out.......

Until I met Jen of course!

Regardless, I'll say that I never really paid much attention to age. I always hung out with an older crowd until recently.

I will say that my friends now are almost all younger than me.