Tuesday, March 20, 2007

I failed. : (

I’ve always been good at tests. I do my prep, take the evaluation, and normally come out on top. Today was not one of those days.

I went to the OB this morning and failed my glucose test. Grrrrrrr. This means that I have to take this “really bad” (the OB’s words) fasting test where they draw several vials of blood an hour for 3 hours while I sit and do nothing.

Further, I got scolded for how much weight I gained since my last visit – 7lbs. I'm supposed to be at 1 lb. per week which means I'm 3lbs. too fat.

The culprit on both: Juice. Dr. Nerendran said that drinking juice every day like I have been is like taking a glucose test every day. Further, it’s what’s making me gain weight. While it’s good that we can pinpoint the cause of both issues (weight gain and bad blood sugar) it’s frustrating because I’ve been intentionally drinking the damn juice! I caused these problems myself!

So now I'm on a water and milk-only fluid limitation for the next 3 months. My only saving grace to this whole thing was that even though I’ve gained 7lbs in 4 weeks, I'm still only at 15lbs. total which is the low end of the 15-20 that’s normal for my stage. Her goal for me is 2lbs. between now and my next appt. on April 17. I am not happy.

9 comments:

Megs said...

Remember... it could be sooooo much worse!!

Viki said...

You were just doing what you thought was best, and I'm sure you did benefit from the juice so it's not all bad...

Everyone's allowed a bad test score once in a while. If you need moral support while they draw blood, let me know and I'll call you while you're sitting around and doing nothing. :-)

Gtemp said...

You need to be staying healthy woman! Don't worry tho, I got a belly rub lined up for ya this weekend if i see you! ;-)

Finlands finest said...

I'm sure everything will be fine. I agree with Viki, the vitamins in the juice were probably doing you good. :)

Katrin said...

I would say so too - the vitamins must've been good. Sitting around for three hours can give you an excuse to do things you don't get around to: reading women's magazines or chit-lit books. Or ordering baby clothes from a catalogue...

LisaMarie said...

Bummer. But I wouldn't worry too much. You seem right on target! And the best part? You only have three more months til you get to meet that beautiful baby girl!

If it makes you feel better, I have a friend who gained like 50 pounds with her first kid!

Sarah said...

Yeah, I'd say you're doing alright! My friend Amy had the same problem when she was pregnant, she stopped drinking soda and started drinking juice and her doctor said that was just as bad as far as the sugar goes.

Martha said...

yup. If you're really craving juice, eat the fruit of the juice you're craving. You will get the benefitted water, nutrients, and fiber, without concentrating the sugars and calories (the most nutient-dense portion of the fruit is NOT in the juice, it's often in the skin and/or pith between the skin and flesh).
If that's the worse thing you fail in life, you're doing allright!!! :)

Mamma Sarah said...

Hang in there. That test isn't so bad. Just make sure you drink water afterwards. Just remember, I failed too. :-) And it turned out just fine the second time. :-D