Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Boob Tube

Jim and I are not big live TV watchers. There are a lot of great and intriguing shows on that our friends, family, and co-workers rave about, we just don’t take the time to see them. Not that we don’t have the time, we just don’t have the time on a scheduled basis that watching a weekly show on a dedicated basis demands. So, instead, we watch TV on DVD.

We started with 24, moved on to The Sopranos, then Deadwood, and now Lost. Let me say that the format of watching is fabulous. No commercials, few time restraints (if we borrow the DVD from the library we get 2 weeks, our generous friends don’t give us such restraints when we borrow from them), and immediate gratification of knowing what happens next on OUR time table.

That being said, we’re in season 2 of Lost and I'm still really enjoying it. I wonder if the format we’re watching it in is helping that – so many others have said that this season in particular is very frustrating, I'm not frustrated at all. Further, since everyone else on the planet it seems is one season ahead of us, Jim and I have heard all kinds of conspiracy theories about the show. I like this too because it makes me consider all kinds of different angles of the whole plot while I'm watching.

Conversely, we ARE caught up in 24 and are watching it on Mondays “real” time and I think this is the worst season so far. My irratation is the opposite of why I like Lost- I think having to wait a week to see what happens is a driver in my overall apathy of this season’s shows.

After this, I think it’s safe to say that I really only have a desire to watch reality TV on prime time (ie The Apprentice, American Idol, etc.). Fortunately, I think Jim feels the same way.

3 comments:

Finlands finest said...

I'm a big fan of Heroes, but couldn't watch the last few weeks, so I caught the episodes on nbc.com yesterday and was frustrated at the end of the weekly episode last night to find out it is on break til the end of april....

Mamma Sarah said...

I'm right there with you about not being very happy with this season of 24. So much that I've actually given up on watching it. I think I may try the TV on DVD approach and see if that changes things.

And whats with those stupid "breaks" that these shows are taking at random times. It use to be fall spring and summer line ups... now it just seems that a show is on for a month and they take a break for 4... grrrr.

LisaMarie said...

While I too get frustrated with the breaks and the mystery, it's also why I love watching the shows! One of my favorite parts about watching shows like LOST and Grey's and Veronica Mars is that I get to talk to my friends and speculate what will happen the next week. It's part of the pleasure for us. While I enjoy TV on DVD I also find it frustrating because then I watch it way too fast and very quickly have nothing to watch. Watching in real time drags out the pleasure!