Wednesday, March 07, 2007

B-I-N-G-O

Last night I had a hot date with another man: Jessy’s husband. Sean invited me to go to St. James with him to play BINGO and finally last night the schedules worked out so we could go. Now I haven’t been to BINGO in a church/hall for probably 15 years if not more. The most recent BINGO I played was on the cruise and that was pretty low-key.

Anyway, BINGO has come a long way since I last played. For those of you who haven’t been recently either, let me catch you up:

  1. There were probably 150 people there of all ages which surprised me because I think of BINGO as a blue-hair’s game
  2. Fear not, the “fun” people are still there – the awkward woman with her 20 neon plastic bracelets up her right arm, he old man with his troll doll watching over his cards for good luck, the mid-50’s lady who had little tolerance for poor calling because she’s there on a mission (when we played the corner postage stamp rounds she’d yell “No N’s!” when the caller accidentally pulled one)
  3. The pad of BINGO cards I got was 3X4 for a total of 12 cards (squares) per sheet. I was probably the person with the least amount of cards in the hall. For comparison, Sean was watching 30 cards to my 12 and was more accurate at getting all the numbers than I was. Total we played 12 total rounds of bingo each having 2 games per round (used the same sheet for the whole round) for a total of 24 games.
  4. “Single Line Bingo” isn’t really that at all- you can win with a straight line, corners, large diamond or a small diamond. This threw me at first because I was watching 12 different cards and had to look for several permutations of winning, not just a simple line. A little more complicated than the days of ole…
  5. You can spend a small fortune in 3 hours – not only is the church selling the bingo cards (which this month are on special- up to 36 for a flat $10), but they sell special game cards for $1 and tons of pull-tab games at $1 each. I had enough stuff to keep me busy and active the whole time since I'm apparently a BINGO novice, so I only spent about $15 the whole night. I think the average spend per person was probably about $50. What was nice was that unlike so many other entertainment places, you could bring in your own food and drinks. So, I packed my PB&J, granola bar, banana and water, and didn’t need to visit the concession stand at all (though sitting next to it did make me want popcorn- it smelled so good!).
  6. No more is the winning card determined by reading out all the numbers they BINGOed with. Now, each card has a serial number and they plug that number into a computer and the computer says whether or not the card’s a winner. Much more efficient I think.
  7. I didn’t win anything. Then again, I’ve never won at BINGO. I did come within 1 twice and within 2 (even on the coverall!) a few times. I think Sean was accurate that I had as many close calls as he did, even with the difference in quantity of cards.

I had a good time. Those stampers, a new thing for me, are a riot- I felt very professional using it! I wish, however, that Jim was more interested in going – it would have been more fun with him and Jess there to get us more riled up about being so close and the agony of defeat.

8 comments:

Megs said...

I LOOOOOVE BINGO! My grandma was probably there with you! She goes 5x a week. My grandpa doesn't have any interest in going whatsoever but still drives her there everyday and picks her up. I think she even carries a Bingo dabber in her purse! Just in case!

Gtemp said...

BINGO is great! I haven't played it in quite a while (since I didn't on the cruise either) but I have however, won at BINGO before at one of Dad's J&J company picnics at King Island. I must say, winning is much better than losing. You should try it out sometime ;-)

Anonymous said...

I had a great time last night at BINGO too. I hadn't played in a good year and a half and picked up like it was nothing. It is nice knowing that even though I haven't been there in a while, many people came up to me and asked how I was doing and how the family was. It is something that I would like to pick up more often. I know that Jessica would like to go as well, and who knows, maybe we can trick (I mean talk) Jim into going with us one of these weeks and joining in the fun. Remember "No N's". It is my new mantra.

Anonymous said...

oh. my. god. please take me with you next time!!!

Finlands finest said...

I am going for a day long Bingo event in Indiana with my fam this sunday. It is like 30 bucks for the day and includes lunch...my mom says its a blast!!

LisaMarie said...

I want to play day long BINGO!
I think we should all going Bingoing! I LOVE bingo! I've only won once in my entire life and I got a clock radio out of the deal. I still use the clock radio, and every time I look at it I remember my win! I even jumped up and yelled Bingo! really loud...

Mamma Sarah said...

I'm with Lisa... we should all go Bingoing. I've never been. The only time I have played BINGO in my grown-up life was when I was doing the In School Scouting Thing... even then all I was doing was calling and not playing. I've always wondered what it would be like.... :-D

Viki said...

I want to go, too. I haven't played bingo since grade school, probably, and I like that it's gotten more high tech. I also like the bringing your own snacks feature. :-)