Thursday, March 01, 2007

"Made It"

No one would argue that the world and “today’s generation” is more materialistic than past generations or even “our generation” (which is funny since even I say that in reference to the “youngsters” who are only like 7 years younger than me and are probably technically in MY generation). People seem to feel the need to surpass the success and wealth their parents (a convenient benchmark) accumulated over 25 years as quickly as possible.

Cases in point:
My brother has a friend who has a 100” projection TV. He’s 25.

One of my uncle’s proudest accomplishments is that he pays more in tax than his father made during the highest earning year of his career.

I think deep down we all want to prove we’ve “made it” and that we’re successful at what we do. Material things are a convenient way to showcase that fact. Obviously some people take that too far, end up in debt and while they appear to be well-off, they’re really struggling and emotionally breaking as a result of the stress. I certainly don’t advocate anyone doing that.

I expect that many of us have a “made it” item that they hope to acquire at some point in their lives (whether they want to admit it or not). Something they know indicates success; even if others don’t fully appreciate its value (sometimes that facet makes it even better!). It seems that at Jim’s work, very high-end watches are a common signifier.

I used to think that my item would be an original piece of art. Not a Picasso or anything, but something that cost several thousand dollars and I buy it just because I can and stick it in some room with a museum light over it. The older I get the less that particular acquisition seems important, but the concept of some thing hasn’t died in my mind as something I “should” do. I just haven’t come up with what to replace it with yet…

7 comments:

Viki said...

I think at this point my "made it" thing is some kind of purchased dwelling places. With the high cost of housing out here, it's just not doable for us right now, and I'm not willing to cut out things that make life enjoyable to be able to scrape a downpayment together faster - like wine with dinner, cooking more elaborate things at home rather than cheaping out as we don't eat out much anyway, our opera subscription (which is the least expensive one anyway) and not starting to save for retirement.

Someday it will happen, probably in the next 5-10 years. After that our "made it" will be a fatter vacation fund so we can go traveling a lot more!

Mamma Sarah said...

You know, Danny and I have talked about this. His would be a sports car of some time. I really don't think there is anything out there that I want to show I've "made it". Hmmm. Maybe I'll have to think about this more.

Anonymous said...

For me it has always been a Porsche 911. And not even a new expensive one, but a late 70's early 80's. The same car I dreamed about 20 years ago. I frequently check victorymotorcars.com looking for one. I once requested a price on an '83 to find it was less than I spent on my VW.
So I guess it would be attainable now, but isn't too practical. And after parking my car outside for over 6 years, I'm addicted to having my garage spot.
But some day I'll get one.

Dale said...

My item? Owning a baseball team!

RandomBitsofDigitalFlotsam said...

Thought provoking post.

I really sat and thought about this for a long time. I don't consider money to be that important, so I really had to think hard if I had anything that I would consider to be a "made it" item for me.

Mine is probably odd..........

I want a BIG Koi pond, with a little gazebo in the middle, done up oriental style. Maybe a waterfall on one side.

I think that's it.

Karen said...

that sounds frickin' awesome!

LisaMarie said...

Kendall's is a Cadillac. ICK.

Mine is probably our next house. Something with TWO whole bathrooms. HAHAHA.

The whole art thing for us is more commemorative. We bought our first Kinkaid when Kendall graduated medical school. We'll probably buy another one this summer when he graduates residency. They're not "unique" by any means anymore, but we enjoy them and think they're worth the money.