Saturday, March 10, 2007

Week 23

How your baby's growing: Your baby is more than 11 inches long and weighs just over a pound. His skin is red and wrinkled. Blood vessels in his lungs are developing to prepare him for breathing. He can swallow, but he normally won't pass his first stool (called meconium) until after birth. Loud noises heard often in utero — such as your dog barking or the roar of a vacuum cleaner — probably won't faze your baby when he hears them outside the womb.

My Take: I noticed two things on Friday that surprised me. First, I always have a bottle of water in my car and I never buy them. Since water is the best thing for me to be drinking and I go various places all the time to get them (business meetings, to friends, etc.) I always leave with a half drunk bottle in tow and leave it in my car for later (which I’m always grateful when I need a drink and it’s there!).

Secondly, soft drinks are now a dessert. I was in a phone system demo on Friday after lunch and the receptionist brought in those mini Pepsi cans for refreshments. Since I have probably had less than the equivalent of 1 can of coke since I got pregnant (supposed to be avoiding caffeine) and when I do I’m surprised by how sweet it is, my first thought upon seeing those ½ cans of pop was – it’d be nice to have a treat and it’s a manageable size. In the end, my conscience and timing won out and I didn't end up having the drink.

Here's a picture of me from yesterday:

3 comments:

Viki said...

One of the initial reasons I drink diet pop is that as a kid we only had it in the house - mom breaks out in hives if she has too much corn/corn products, and regular pop in the US is sweetened with corn syrup. If I do try regular pop once in a while, it's always too sweet.

As for loud sounds in utero, I suggest treating Nicole to some Verdi opera choruses, soprano arias, or some major brass ensemble stuff.

Love the picture!

Mamma Sarah said...

Cute pic... we need a side shot to see the ever growing Nicole Belly! :-D

Sarah said...

I stopped drinking regular soda a few months ago, and I can't handle it anymore! I had a sip the other day and I was like "gross!!"

And yes, we need a side shot!!!