Thursday, March 08, 2007

Teaching this fall

I got offered another adjunct position for the Fall semester. All of the full-time faculty are coming back and they get first dibs on their preferred timing for classes. David, my boss, asked if I’d be willing to teach a ½ semester course (still 3 credit hours, just condensed inweeks) on Saturdays from 8am to 12pm. Since I still want to teach, already have the materials done for the class, and thought it would give me a nice little break (starting in Oct. instead of Aug) with Nicole coming, I agreed enthusiastically.

When I told my students about next semester's timing last week in my Sales class, they all whined because it was such a bad time. It then dawned on me – who’s going to be awake/sober/motivated enough to come to an 8:00am class on a SATURDAY morning!? I think their predictions will be correct – I’ll probably have a lot of adult students who work full-time in my class and very few, if any traditional undergrads. Not sure how I feel about that.

Other kicker – the semester-long project I had them do (which got rave reviews) will be very challenging to do in an 8 week time period instead of 15 weeks like I did it last semester. The reasoning there is with a 15 week class I could teach them a topic and give them 2-3 weeks after that to get their portion of the project pertaining to that subject together. This class will only allow 1-2 weeks max to compile their work. That’ll be very rough and I suspect the caliber of work I'll get will reflect that. : (

4 comments:

Finlands finest said...

You are brilliant and will find a way to make your project work!!

Have untraditional students maybe fun for you, plus you can test your teaching mehtods on more individuals...

Megs said...

If it makes you feel any better, I took at Saturday morning class. (It was the only one that fit into my schedule)

Mamma Sarah said...

I'm sure you'll figure things out. If you need a sitter let me know. :-D

Viki said...

Yeah, I'm sure you'll figure things out - the plus side is that if you've got adults then most of them will probably be more motivated and willing to work harder to get the project done in a shorter amount of time. When I was doing my online classes, I did the one at a time condensed into 4 or 6 weeks - things moved very quickly so we all had to get our butts in gear.

There may, however, be some folks who think that because it's a short class it'll be easier, as it's "easier" to fit into their schedule because it's shorter - these are the folks who'll tend to slack off and drive their group members nuts. Just something to keep in mind...