Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Week 26

How your baby's growing: Your baby now weighs a little under 2 pounds and measures about 14 inches, from head to heel. The nerve pathways in her ears are developing, which means her response to sounds is growing more consistent. Her lungs are developing now, too, as she continues to take small breaths of amniotic fluid — good practice for when she's born and takes that first breath of air.

My Take: Yesterday something cool happened- I watched my stomach as Nicole kicked and I could see it all happening from the outside! Wacky!!

I went to Wal-Mart, even though I claim I never shop there if I don’t have to, to see if they had any cute maternity clothes for cheap. What I found was surprising – a lot of styles in the Juniors section are cut baby-doll style (as in fitted around the chest, flowy from there down) and are very doable (and cute!) for me in my current condition, even if I triple in size. And they’re a heck of a lot less expensive than clothes that have a maternity label. I got a linen sundress for $12.88!

What did this teach me?
1) Don’t limit myself to the maternity section
2) There are a lot of “fashionable” styles that “regular” people shouldn’t be wearing – if it fits a 6 mo. pregnant lady, non-pregos probably shouldn’t be wearing it as there’s no way it’s flattering
3) When this whole time period in my life is done I need to consider rule #2 above and evaluate my closet for uncomplimentary clothes and get rid of them

9 comments:

Jessica said...

Just wait until you see her roll over in there. You will be able to see your whole belly move from side to side. It is hysterical to watch!

Martha said...

don't forget another lesson you learned: maternity clothes can be found in the junior section....
:)yea, and in a few months when she's lopsided, and there's her butt pushing out on one side, and not on the other, sticking out like an alien (no offense to Nicole...I said "like" an alien, not "is" an alien!).

Viki said...

LMAO. I totally agree with your #2 statement. Every once in a while I see someone walking around downtown and ask myself what that person could have been thinking while getting dressed that morning, or shopping for the clothes...

Glad to see that Nicole is making herself known to the outside world :-)

Finlands finest said...

LOL! I love your new rules!! HA!

Can't wait to see Nicole play some soccer. :)

Katharine said...

my friends and i regularly comment on the latest trends looking maternity. here's our rule of thumb: if the freaking mannequin looks pregnant it WON'T be flattering on anyone else....(unless you're preggers, of course :D )sounds obvious i know, but people are buying them. which leads to our next game. "fat or pregnant" surprisingly and disturbingly fun to play in a bar....

Gtemp said...

Glad to hear that my little girl is doing so well! You better make sure you are wearing cute clothes so she can get lots of attention from strangers. (That's the first step to a solid candy bar selling debut for future washington DC trips is to get strangers to think you are cute and catch their attention). I can see that somebody has been missing their belly rubs!!! ;-)

Megs said...

I agree with you 100% on the babydoll styles. There is like 3% of the population that can actually pull that off... me not being one of them but horray if it's looks good and is cheap for you!! I love maternity clothes and how cute some people look in them!! Bring me next time you go!! Remember... honest opinion here!

Viki said...

I'm sorry - had to comment again because of what Katherine said. The "fat or pregnant?" game is really fun to play just about anywhere. I often find myself wondering about people I see on my walks to/from the train station...

Mamma Sarah said...

Hooray for being able to see Nicole outside! That's wonderful and so fun. You'll catch yourself staring at your belly more and more and then talking to her saying "move, common' move!" Danny use to catch me laying on the bed talking to "Alex" and waiting for movement. Good laughs!

I'm with ya on the clothes these days and the purging of clothes after prego. It totally makes you rethink your attire. :-D Hence the reason I can't resist getting a new shirt everytime I go shopping now. :-D