Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Tuesday Evening Happenings

Last night was my first, in my book, official night as a graduate. Any other Tuesday I would have had class last night but of course now I don’t! I went to the salon again for a follow-up from my Thursday appointment and then had dinner with Jim. Rather than go to the gym, which I thought we’d do, we decided to stay in and watch Jarhead. A particularly oddly directed movie, it did make me give extra thought to how happy I am that I’m NOT a marine (or any serviceperson for that matter). They do all kinds of stuff that I have no desire to do – boot camp, get shot at, kill people, hang out in 112 degree Middle Eastern deserts, etc. It also made me MORE grateful to those folks who will step up and do that.

We also got invited to Mom and Dad’s on Friday night to celebrate my graduation. I got a card in the mail from the Sackses (a last name was pluralized like that in the magazine I read last night… seems odd and I don’t remember what the proper grammar is for it… need to look it up) congratulating me on graduation. C wrote a particularly touching line at the end “we’re proud of you” which made me smile because you don’t hear that from your friends very often and I know that they sincerely mean it.

Available dates for our (I say “our” because we’ll be celebrating Jim’s accomplishment of earning a martial arts black belt at the same soirĂ©e) graduation party are quickly disappearing. Jim’s test isn’t until 6/17 (?) and we have Sarah’s baby shower, my bro’s party, Kristi’s baby shower, Alaskan trip, my work trip to AZ, and something else all fighting over available weekends. Perhaps this’ll turn into an August party…

4 comments:

RandomBitsofDigitalFlotsam said...

The test may even be later, it may be the 24th. They aren't sure yet.

Mamma Sarah said...

They need to stop delaying the test! :-D

Hooray for quality bonding time. You can come to Dayton any Tuesday :-) Hopefully it won't be Dayton for too long. :-)

Anonymous said...

Well Karen I do have to say that I am proud of you!! Congratulations on all your hard work!

Viki said...

Too bad all of this stuff isn't happening earlier - I'd like to be able to celebrate with you guys, too. Maybe if it turns into an August party I'll have to do another road trip, though. :-)