Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Regressing?

When I was about 9 or so my brother Mike and I would play Monopoly using checks as well as the play money. If we’d land on someone’s property we’d take out our pre-cut pieces of paper, fill out the check just like my mom would, and submit payment to the landlord. We’d then hold on to that check and not cash it against the other player until a more strategic time in the game. Looking back at the higher thinking we displayed both in the game playing as well as the understanding of a traditional banking system, I’m pretty impressed with us.

So how is it that yesterday, on my way to my client's office, that I’ve been to before, I drove around in not 1 but 2 circles and called for directions not 1 but 2 times before finally getting there?

5 comments:

Viki said...

That's like the time I blew past my exit on the expressway in Naples and got lost getting off at the next one - I was going to be early for work, but ended up being an hour late. It happens to the best of us. :-)

Mamma Sarah said...

Yuk... Monopoly. I hate that game with a passion. Probably because I always lost. That is one game I REFUSE to play.

We use to harrass my dad about the times he had to turn around on trips. For some reason we'd blow right past where were suppose to go or be. Some things never change though, because I joked with him about turning around when I went to Virginia this time around. Don't feel bad, we all do it at some point.

LisaMarie said...

Because you weren't writing a check? Hehee.....=)

Anonymous said...

Well Karen, knowing right from left and how much are in your bank account are 2 totally different things. While one you should learn in kindergarten and the other not have until adulthood. I find that I skipped too many classes in Kindergarten, because any day of the week I can tell you how much is in my bank account and I still get my right/left mixed up. No worries about going in circles for awhile, sometimes that is the best way to find new cool things. :)

Finlands finest said...

Okay Karen, this would be the third response to this blog..

I do not believe you are regressing at all. I think banking and knowing directions are two totally different skill sets. As a kindergartener you should learn your right from your left, you don't usually learn banking until your an adult. Some people still don't learn it then. Personally, I skipped too many kindergarten classes because any day of the week I can tell you how much is in all of my bank accounts but I still mix my right/left up. Furthermore, why are you concerned about a skill you may never have developed??? heheh