Wednesday, May 31, 2006

I'm Going Nutty

Our house has always had a fair number of woodland creatures. We started with a bunny that lived in our back yard and routinely sat out in the open for us to watch. Now, in the front yard, we have squirrels.

Now I think the squirrels are adorable, especially when they play together. There are always 2 together, who I think are sweet on one another, and sometimes, like this morning, there are 3.

My grandfather on my mom’s side used to have a wild squirrel that visited him, Charlie. Grandpa trained the squirrel to trust him and eventually got him to sit between his feet and he’d hand-feed it peanuts. When I told them at lunch last week of our new “pets” he got very excited. Apparently they expected squirrels at their new house in Mason but that concept is apparently a geographic impossibility. So, he gave me the bag of peanuts that he intended on using.

Last night our two friends were out in the yard and I tossed them 2 peanuts and put one on our retaining wall. They weren’t remotely interested. I wasn't encouraged that the nuts were still there this morning when Jim and I went outside to investigate. I’m hoping this is just a failed first attempt and that they’ll come around.

Meanwhile I’ll just look like an idiot standing in my front door in my PJ’s photographing the squirrels.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didja ever see the movie, "The Birds"?

They don't want the peanuts.

Tomorrow there will be 5 squirrels, then 50, then 100.

Then Karen will be doing her "Tippy/Tippi/Whatevah" Hedren impersonation in a blue dress, covered in squirrels, running down the street!

Or not. Either way, it's nothing an ice cold martini won't fix. Make an ice cold martini. Then two. Then three. Throw the glasses at the squirrels and yell at them while you stagger after them. They will be terrified and never bother you again.

Either will your neighbors for that matter!

Their not just squirrels, they're opportunities!

Andy Martini
"Flame-Proof and Limousine Ready"

Mamma Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mamma Sarah said...

Sorry about that last post. That was me. My computer was being goofy.

Glad to hear you have some new friends (not that you need them) to bother... lol! You should get some dried corn cobs and put those out. They seem to like those when my MIL puts them out.

LOL at both your post and Martini's comment!`

LisaMarie said...

I like pets. But I think dogs are better pets. They eat from your hand. Actually, they'll eat from anywhere....your hand, the floor, your plate on the table when you're not looking.

I think the corn cobs would work better. Maybe your peanuts are stale....

Karen said...

stale peanuts... hmmm... could be...

do squirrels care about that? where do i find this corn?

AM - you're too much. always good for a smile first thing in the am. (and by that i mean you're FUNNY, not what you're probably thinking...)

TreyJ said...

That sounds like something my grandfather would do. He's got a mini wildlife refuge in his backyard and sits on the porch all evening and watches his animals. I think it's pretty neat, and wish I had something like that!

We have a squirrel that lives in the big tree outside of our apartment and he likes to yell at the cats when they are sitting in the window.

Viki said...

I meant to post something to this -it was going to be about that squirrel that sits outside of our apartment and taunts the cats. I think it was back this morning because Sepp was all wound up about something while I was working out...

Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»

Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»