Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Spencerville Cats

Spencerville, Jim’s hometown, is quite literally a 1 stop-light town. About 2 hours north of Cincinnati, Spencerville is primarily a farming community with a “downtown” area (2 blocks) that has a diner/bar and some random shops.

About a month ago Spencerville’s Journal newspaper put a front page article on the feral, apparently highly reproductive cats that are roaming downtown and what the authorities are planning on doing about it. I wish Jim had kept the article, but it read something like “feral cats are deemed a clear and present danger and will be managed by police as such. Anyone attempting to support a wild cat will be dealt appropriate action.” I’m picturing a video game where instead of living corpses police are sharp-shooting dirty cats with red eyes who are hissing and surrounding them in the middle of the street.

Last Friday when the Journal was published (it’s a 1/week paper) they had another front page article about some feral cat group that has rushed into Spencerville at the cats’ aid. This group has apparently offered to pay any vet bill, etc. that is required to spare the cats’ lives at the hands of police. Who has time, energy and money they want to spend on this!? I wish I could post up a web page, but they’re not online for me to show you first hand…. I’ll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Mamma Sarah said...

So is Jim going to go "home" and catnapp as many as he can. Like a catch and release program? I know how much he would love to have one of the furry beasts, but at what cost. LOL

RandomBitsofDigitalFlotsam said...

He should catnap as many as he can. I love my two cats, and I honestly wouldn't be here today without them. They are wonderful companions, and never fail to make me smile, even when they are being bad.