Wednesday, January 11, 2006

First Night of Class

I’m being taught by a George W. Bush impersonator. Really. Last night was my first night of Selling and Sales Management, my second-last class in the XU MBA program. This guy is over the top. He looks like Bush, his mannerisms are Bush-like, he even makes dramatic pauses like the President.

He’s a sales consultant and a motivational speaker in “real life” and it shows through and through. He opened class with introductions where he graciously thanked each of us for being there, and then went on to establish a confidentiality rule for the semester. Then, after each answer we gave he responded with a long-winded answer and finally thanked us for our feedback. What a riot.

Strange thing – he said that our main content for the course will be class participation (worth 30% of our grade) and it will be achieved through reviewing the questions at the end of each chapter. After going through a few last night I’m wondering why you have to read the chapter to be prepared. For example, one question we discussed was “What are the stereotypes that salespersons have in TV, Movies and Jokes? Discuss how you think these stereotypes came to existence and how they have changed over the years”. Really. Did I just pay $625 X 3 Credit Hours = $1875 for this? I’m assuming this will evolve to more as the semester goes on…

Tonight is my capstone class. It’s taught by a prof I’ve never had and one who carries a good reputation. I’ll keep you posted.

3 comments:

Mamma Sarah said...

Oh the joys of "THOSE" college classes... lol.

RandomBitsofDigitalFlotsam said...

Hehehe, you should see just how long you can get him talking. Answer him the way he answers you, and see what type of loop you can get him into.

I always loved doing that to my long winded instructors.

Karen said...

that's hysterical - you're right, i should try!