Thursday, January 12, 2006

1st Night of Capstone

I had my capstone class last night for the first meeting. This is the class that is the pinnacle of my MBA degree and holds graduation contingent on its completion. The primary source of our grade is based on 2 simulation exercises where small groups make decisions for a shoe company and a bike company. The simulator generates results from the business decisions we make regarding inventory levels, employee count, advertising efforts, etc. I’m very excited because this should be both fun and educational, and, most importantly, because the small groups compete against each other and our grades are based off of our standing in the class.

As my opinion on small groups is widely known, one can imagine that I took special care in forming allegiances last night. Mindy, who I was in a positive sg with last semester, happens to be in both of my classes this semester. We decided on Tuesday night that we’d work together in capstone. We scouted the room for other folks we’d had good experiences with over the last three years and really only found people we knew we didn’t want.

On break the guy next to me started making small talk and we were interrupted by another guy who was in my Tuesday class. Matt, Tuesday guy, was personable and said he had a finance background which is something M and I really needed (we’re both marketing centric). As it became relatively clear Matt was going to join us and M & I were picky about our group, the guy next to me started making some blunt attempts to join in more and more. To make a long story short, Rocko, the guy next to me finally, formally asked if he could join us and we agreed. It was kinda funny because i think it was obvious he needed to make a strong first impression; as soon as we organized he volunteered to record for us and was overly willing to be available for anything we needed. Overall, he seems like he’ll be a good guy and I’m happy with my group in general.

I did find it interesting, however, how people position themselves. Mindy and I were pretty clear we were together and it was flattering to have two other people pursue our company. I did forewarn the group though that I am very competitive and I’ll be really irritated if our group does not place in the top 3. hopefully they aren’t irritated with me already….

1 comment:

iceberg said...

How did you do? Any advise?